what's the wince point in short film length

What's the point in length in which film fest programmers begin to hold a short to a higher standard?
I realize it varies from screener to screener and fest to fest, but just wondering what the community thinks is reasonable rule of thumb. 15 minutes?

I'd say 15 is a long short these days, but I could be wrong.

The story being told, the quality of production and how captivating the acting would be few factors that come to mind. If I click away to something else online, then it *might* be too long. But if I'm in a festival setting (trapped!) I'd hope it hits a lot of the marks. I want to feel taken care of.

The tidier it is, the better the chances it won't have people checking text messages or the time.

Pack a punch. Make it count. Keep asking yourself how to tell the story with less.

2 cents (plus interest).

From what I've read online and in books specifically about short films (including one by a Sundance programmer), 10 minutes is the "magic number".

Scrutiny increases after that. I've read examples where 30+ minute films get accepted, but it was because they were exceptional.

Of course, this will vary depending on the popularity of the festival.

Last edited:
Judging just from what I watch around here <4min is fine.
Anything >5min and I seriously consider whether I want to "invest" in it - no matter the production value.

"It gets better right after the point where you turned it off! Really!"

Yeah.

2 - 3 min is fine.
Otherwise, I had darn well be riveted by what someone has got to show.

Working for my hobby/craft is one thing.
Working for my entertainment? Pfft.
Little red x button is just a wrist twist away.

However, I would like to think festival screeners being paid $20 to watch our shorts are a little more professional about it, and will give each video a little longer day in court.
But I bet after watching a few thousand over a couple of years (Oh! the brutality of it!) they can recognize cr@p in less than thirty seconds.

But I bet after watching a few thousand over a couple of years (Oh! the brutality of it!) they can recognize cr@p in less than thirty seconds.

Festival programmers are just like ladies on the first date - both know within 10 seconds if the guy is getting f****d at the end ;)

Sorry, I just had to say it..

Jud

A gee-whiz logo is a dead giveaway to crap.

5 min is max for me. Anyone posting video longer than that here is likely to get unwatched by me.,

I appreciate that and feel similarly, but I'm asking more about film fest screeners.
Like any business decision, I'm sure there's a matrix to fill beginning with filling an allocated time slot for which they will make short or long allowances depending upon the dearth or abundance of subjective quality product they have to work with.
Then there's the product itself, which like any commodity, gets graded for a multitude of variables.

And then there's the down-low truth that only confidants behind any industry closed door will admit.
Restaurant business.
Hotel business.
Law enforcement.
Medicine.

If the product is good - they'll make an exception if you're X minutes over the limit.
If there's a marketable name associated with it - they'll fabricate a reason why it edged out a subjectively better product.

There's all sorts of games going on.

I'm guessing "time" is pretty far down the list of priorities.
Perhaps the thinnest veneer of inclusive/exclusive qualifications.

I don't know if you've heard of Dances With Films but one of the fellas running it (Robert) had a great blog about how they were screening their submssions and short, shorter and cut it some more was the main response from screeners -- more than bad sound or gee-whiz logos! :)

Back