• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What's the normal length for an animation film?

I am currently working on a childrens' (cartoon) full feature animation. Does anyone know the normal length? Is it more than 90 pgs?

:)

Last edited:
Thread moved to appropriate forum.

I think we will need more information. Since you reference "90 pgs," I assume you are referring to the screenplay/script (hence the move to screenwriting category). "Normal length" might be confused for length of the actual movie (running time). So some clarification might help.

Also, what is your intent? Are you making a short? A Feature? Who is your target audience? Children or adults?

John is right, you should list the specifics, a big factor being the target audience.

You said you were working on a feature-length animation, the concensus for animation seems to be 1 page =30 seconds. But from past threads here, people have posted they had varying durations for that one page of script. With my own limited experience, I've found that as you animate the scripted page, suddenly more ideas pop up and that equation just kind of dissappears.

Okay--I know nothing about scripting for animation, so the only advice I can give is from a parent's perspective. PLEASE -- don't make the feature longer than 75-80 minutes! Let's remember who our target audience is...children. Attention span = hardly none. If your movie is GREAT, you can hold them for about an hour before they get antsy (depending on the kid, of course). By 75 minutes, the kids (and therefore, the parents!) are ready to leave. The Incredibles, which runs at about 2 hours, was just brutal. Someone needs to tell Pixar that, no matter how good their movies are, they need to come down off of that high-horse and remember they are making movies for children.

Back