• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What's the big deal about Shakespeare?

Not so much a screenwriting question as storywriting in general. I took a class to help my screenwriting, and a lot of these classes will learn from Shakespeare. However, I find his plays are filled with a lot of metaphores and analogies to make points. Not just a few, but a lot, just to described one thing often. I can see maybe needing to use one analogy to make a point, but why almost a dozen in a row, sometimes? Just make your point and move on to another part of the plot.

I have written two features so far, with as many twists and turns as I could fit, and I'd say it they about five times more plot than any Shakespeare play I have read or seen performed. The reason why is because I kept the analogies and metaphores down to a bare minimum. Now I am not saying I am a good writer, or better than Shakespeare at all for that matter. Just don't get why have analogies, when you can have plot?

Last edited:
It is true that cinema is primarily a visual medium... but all the visuals in the world wouldn't be complete without stellar audio. It's that piece that far too many people forget... ;)

I strongly disagree with this premise. Film has not been primarily a visual medium for around 80 years or so. Film is primarily an audio/visual medium, not primarily a visual medium supported by audio. This may seem like semantics but it is not, it goes to the very heart of modern film making and story telling. It's true to say that the vast majority of lo/no budget films are primarily visual but it is NOT true of higher budget theatrically released commercial films. Indeed sound design is one of the most notable differences between lo/no budget film makers and the great film makers.

"Film is 50% pictures and 50% sound. Except in some instances where sound is more than 50%."

This is probably a slight paraphrase, as I can't remember the exact quote verbatim, attributed to David Lynch but there are similar quotes and approach to film making from ALL the great film makers. The vast majority of Sound Design is designed so that the audience is not consciously aware of it. So it's understandable (and indeed desirable) that audiences don't consider sound much and think of film as a primary visual medium. Of course Filmmakers should know better and understand what film and film making actually is! For many films and great film makers the Sound Designer is one of the first people involved in the film making progress, often taken on board during the development phase or at the beginning of pre-production. This is in complete contrast to the "sound as a visual support" approach in no/lo budget films where there is usually little or no sound design at all and the little which is employed is bolted on to an otherwise finished film and viewed as a purely post-production process.

Got a little off topic here, sorry to the OP.

G

I don't know. I'm sure you're right Alcove. I envy you being able to go and hear/see quality Shakespeare live at The Park or wherever. But like you, Mussonman, I might rather read him I (especially the annotated sort of read :P ) because, the truth is, when I try watching film adaptations of Shakespeare I'm often sitting there thinking, what?, huh?, what's going on?, etc. I mean, I can hardly undertand what's being said. So, I'm on the outside looking in, not following along very well. Of course that's largely because I'm not the sharpest tool. Maybe seeing a high caliber play live would change that for me, I dunno. But, if it's true that he was a poet first, then I can't see anything wrong with just reading him, either. =)

Okay, I don't know what you guys are seeing, but I think it's kinda cool that the banner ad that I'm seeing at the top of the page is for a show called Shakespeare Un/covered on PBS. :)

Oh yeah, I've watched a couple of those. Hey, that one with Ethan Hawke is quite good. Recommend.

Last edited:
"Film is 50% pictures and 50% sound. Except in some instances where sound is more than 50%." ... This is probably a slight paraphrase, as I can't remember the exact quote verbatim, attributed to David Lynch but there are similar quotes and approach to film making from ALL the great film makers.

"Sound is half of the experience" is attributed to both Spielberg and Lucas.

The vast majority of Sound Design is designed so that the audience is not consciously aware of it.

"Film is the art of the invisible; if anyone notices your work you haven't done your job right." I believe that was from Randy Thom.

Ya know, I honestly didn't expect to read this thread and see it be so one-sided.

I don't think he sucks, but personally, I prefer reading his work, than seeing it performed. Harder to absorb the subtext when the actors are delivering their lines (more often than not, very poorly)

I like the metaphors he uses, I like the constant references to other pieces of classic literature.

Honestly? That's my thing with Shakespeare. Both ways have their merits. Stage = seeing how it translates from script to stage, and reading = structure. That and it is pretty rare to see an honestly good take on Shakespeare.

To me though, Shakespeare's major success came in taking the plots that had existed forever, adapting them to his medium (stage), and putting his own voice to it. That's the trick with writing anything. He did it, and did it well.

Last edited:
Back