What's the Best way to Acquire Actors who will Work for Little to Nothing?

Let me start off by saying im a 20year old director looking for actors for my first feature, but not sure exactly where to look in my little 15person town of Buford, GA lol. I've been using friends in previous stuff, but friends don't always make the best actors and goof off a lot. My question is what's the best way or best place to get some decent actors who will work for little to nothing because my budget constraints are pretty darn tight lol. I don't need top notch actors just ppl who will actually try and act somewhat decent. I feel pretty confident in the script i've created just dont want to cut down a great story when i could have done it alot better than it deserved.

I prefer younger talent who is less experienced as well but still willing to put in the effort. Any help is appreciated! thanks guys

friends, family, and anyone who isn't much interested in an acting career.

People who consider themselves "professional" actors will want paid, and there's no guarantee they'll be good at acting, and won't goof off themselves.

Get around in acting circles.

If you're looking for people to commit their time to your projects, you often have to help them in what they're doing/want to do etc.

You might get some actors referred to you that way.

Get around in acting circles.

If you're looking for people to commit their time to your projects, you often have to help them in what they're doing/want to do etc.

You might get some actors referred to you that way.

good point

Find the closest film school, acting school, and theatre group and put up auditioning notices.
^ This.

There are plenty of newbie actors who are talented and serious about doing good work, just like you're a new director who's serious about your work. Point potential talent to any previous work you've done so that they know what they're getting into. (Eg, put a link in your casting announcement.) You'll get people who are at or below your level. If you don't have previous work, then for now you'll have to start with inexperienced actors, but at least if they're going to acting classes or are in a theater group then you know they're serious about putting in effort. These folks also will likely have resumes and possibly professional headshots. These tools can help you decide who you want to bring in for an audition.

Be aware that THE reason talented aspiring actors work for free is to get quality footage for their reels. So give them a written guarantee of the date by which you will provide them finished footage of their scenes, and then stay true to your word. This is part of the professionalism that you bring to the table.

Keep your shoots fun and light, and feed your cast and crew. Trust me on this. :) And make sure they know how grateful you are to them for being part of your production.

^ This.

There are plenty of newbie actors who are talented and serious about doing good work, just like you're a new director who's serious about your work. Point potential talent to any previous work you've done so that they know what they're getting into. (Eg, put a link in your casting announcement.) You'll get people who are at or below your level. If you don't have previous work, then for now you'll have to start with inexperienced actors, but at least if they're going to acting classes or are in a theater group then you know they're serious about putting in effort. These folks also will likely have resumes and possibly professional headshots. These tools can help you decide who you want to bring in for an audition.

Be aware that THE reason talented aspiring actors work for free is to get quality footage for their reels. So give them a written guarantee of the date by which you will provide them finished footage of their scenes, and then stay true to your word. This is part of the professionalism that you bring to the table.

Keep your shoots fun and light, and feed your cast and crew. Trust me on this. :) And make sure they know how grateful you are to them for being part of your production.

Thanks! ;)

I'm a film student and finding actors to act for free can be hard, but it can be done.

Now keep in mind- for actors that will agree to work for free might not be the best out there, but you might get lucky and find someone good. It might depend where you live, but you can find actors that will be happy to be in your film for free. You just have to look everywhere till you find someone that is good enough. It can be done.

Good luck.

Back