Whats New?

Just wondering again, is BlackMagic not going to ship? Why buy their stuff? What is around the corner for Nikon and Canon video on their DSLR, nothing new from them in a over a year. What are you all thinking, shouldn't things and ideas from these companies be moving faster? It seems so obvious what these cameras need for filmmakers.
Thanks
Vows
PS..I have clinched onto the thoughts that come from my poorly put together threads and the great replies that follow, but the sound info I was given and reading Veirs book, I have an entirely different mindset, fantastic. I am so much more informed and with that comes confidence. Thanks. The camera and lens info is as equally as powerful. Now to find my actors again.

Blackmagic is shipping :) Both the Pocket and the Production. I was prepping gear at a local rental house last week and they had a new Pocket Cam that they were mounting Super 16 Zeiss Superspeeds on.

In regards to Canon - they seem pretty happy with the current line of cinema cameras - the C100 is <a year old, and new DSLRs are coming out all the time, the latest one being the 70D, which apparently has decent video autofocus.

Nikon don't seem to want in on the cinema camera race, preferring to focus on DSLRs and glass.

The RED Dragon is slowly getting further to a wider release - the footage that's been released does look a lot better than any previous RED footage, and the noise is handled so much better - 17:1 compression ratio on the Dragon looks to give you similar noise to 8:1 on the M-X. Of course, I'll hold judgement til I can look at it with my own eyes, and (hopefully) do my own tests.

Sony seem pretty happy with their F-series, and will be bolstering that over the next year.

Arri have a 4k Alexa around the corner - some say it will be announced at IBC next month; I've always said it will be at NAB 2014, so look out for that.

Panasonic have really fallen behind, hopefully they can pick up their game and release the 4K Varicam sometime soon, and perhaps a mid-range option around the AF-101.

Back