• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What's hot in the SPEC market...

Okay, I thought I would share this with anyone who's interested and writing spec scripts...

It seems like the spec script market is once again getting warm... A residual effect from bad box office and DVD revenue along with thousands of surveys being completed as we speak...

Here's what's HOT:

1) Horror
2) Thriller
3) Noir
4) Action
5) Science Fiction that focuses MORE on story than CGI or SFX
6) Comedy

What is the spec market staying away from?

1) Westerns
2) Fantasy
3) Drama
4) Historical/Period
5) Ensemble pieces
6) Small character driven stories
7) Love stories
8) Biographies
9) Mysteries

That is not to say that you should never write one of these kinds of films... Any story well written is always welcome but you do reduce your chances of a sale...

By the same token, studios are in fact making several movies in the second list of films so it's not as though it would be impossible...

It's a numbers game and always subject to change.

filmy

1) Westerns
2) Fantasy
3) Drama
4) Historical/Period
5) Ensemble pieces
7) Love stories
8) Biographies
9) Mysteries

Damn! I wished I'd seen this list earlier, I'm about to finish my fantasy drama romance set in the old west with flashbacks to period France in 1600 that involves the mysterious deaths of an ensemble of kooky characters who drive the story line all based on a true biography.

Scott

You might as well finish it...

scottspears said:
1) Westerns
2) Fantasy
3) Drama
4) Historical/Period
5) Ensemble pieces
7) Love stories
8) Biographies
9) Mysteries

Damn! I wished I'd seen this list earlier, I'm about to finish my fantasy drama romance set in the old west with flashbacks to period France in 1600 that involves the mysterious deaths of an ensemble of kooky characters who drive the story line all based on a true biography.

Scott
You might as well finish it... LOL.

filmy

Back