What's a good lav mic?

Can anyone recommend a good and affordable lav mic? I would like something that is wireless and can be used for both movies and documentary interviews. I don't know what cost these typically are, so I can't really tell you what price range I'm shooting for.

Thanks,
Paul

"Good" is relative.

Lots of folks are okay with, say, the stock ME2 lav from the Sennheiser G3 kit. Yet 99% of professionals replace it with something else like the CountryMan B6 ($300) or B3 ($180), the Sanken COS-11 ($400 to $480), or the Tram TR50 ($240). Oscar SoundTech is up-and-coming with some nice budget lavs (around $100).

As far as wireless systems go the Sennheiser G3 ($650) is pretty much the cheapest that I personally would consider reliable. The "big budget" professionals tend to use Lectrosonics ($1,100 to $3,200 per set). Audio Technica makes some decent low-budget wireless systems ($100 to $200), but they are VHF and more prone to RF and EM interference.

I personally like the Sennheiser G3 with the CountryMan B6 as my "budget" wireless kit - that would come to about $1k per set. I would want three (3) sets.

Back