• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What's a better way to reveal this twist?

I and a fellow screenwriter are writing a script but we have some disagreements on how to handle a twist in it. He says I reveal the twist way too soon, and there is too much foreshadowing.

Basically a cop takes an assignment to go undercover, and get to know a suspect, gain her trust, and then hopefully she will allow him into her crimes, and incriminate herself so he can bust her. Pretty standards so far.

However, I am told by the co-writer, that this is bad, because the reader will assume the suspect is bad, and the twist later is ruined, cause the reader already thinks she is likely bad, because the cop's are investigating her.

He says that I should save the twist as a surprise for later, when she commits a crime, because it would be a much much better time to reveal it to the reader.

However, since a cop is assigned to go undercover to bust her, how do I make the reader not think she may be guilty of a crime?

She is suspected to be guilty of a crime, they assign a cop to investigate and hopefully bust her, so I how exactly would I get the reader to assume she is innocent, and not even suspect she is guilty, cause I have also been told there is too much foreshadowing that needs to go But usually if a cop is assigned to investigate someone and bust them, then the reader will suspect that person MAY be a villain. How do I get rid of that MAY in the reader's mind so they will be completely surprised later, and not see it coming at all?

What do you think? Is their anything I can do to hide suspicion of the reader?

Okay thanks. The reason why I wrote it that was is because previously other writers and readers told me that the methods I use for the villain to be caught were too outlandish. So I opted for the most realistic approach that a cop would take. It's cliched, but at least it's not outlandish, and it's what would logically happen.

As for being the same as those movies, there is one difference. The cop does not develop an emotional attachment to the suspect.

Back