What would YOU get -- T2i or 60d?

Hello Indietalk people!

Apologies if this sounds like another "differences between the two cameras" post. I don't need a specs comparison -- I've already researched that. What I am interested in is how important the differences between the T2i and 60d are, to help me ultimately decide which camera I should get.

So without further ado, here are the main spec differences that I've seen between the T2i and 60d (if there are other ones that I missed, please feel free to enlighten me):

-60d has 1/8000 shutter speed, vs T2i's 1/4000
-60d (allegedly) has 2-3 times longer battery life than the T2i
-60d has manual audio levels while the T2i does not (Sidenote: I haven't yet decided if I'll invest in an external audio recorder or not. I currently only have a cheap shotgun mic)
-60d has separate buttons to control shutter and aperture (will the aperture button matter if it's a manual lens?)
-60d has a vari-angle screen while the T2i does not
-Everything I've read has said that the 60d has virtually no overheating issues, while the T2i does

With these differences in mind I'd like to know -- how important are they to you personally and why? Considering I'm on a very tight budget (I can afford a 60d with the basic accessories, but barely), are the benefits of a 60d worth an extra $200-$300?

If you need any more background, I am not planning to shoot Lord of the Rings with this. I AM, however, hoping that it will last me quite a while, and that it's something I can grow into. I want to make short films and web videos with it (that's what I have in mind initially, at least).

I want to get one of these cameras very soon, so thanks a ton for any and all help!

Last edited:
I don't own a DSLR, but my good friend/DP/Camera man owns a 60D. From my understanding is that the 60D offers more potential. An analogy may be between a Mac Pro and an iMac. The bottom of the line Mac Pro has almost the same spec as top of the line iMac, but the Mac Pro cost more due to it's potential to upgrade, it's ease of installing more RAM, more Harddrive, etc. etc.

It is also to my understanding that A bare body won't make any movie for you. For my friends 60D, he spent nearly 3k on accessories, 2k on lense, in order to realize the 60D's potential.

So all in all, if what you are going to spend now is all that you are going to spend, i'd recomment a T2i. but if you want to gradually invest more and more money on accessories in the future, 60D would be a good choice. I believe it has the same sensor as the 7D, which is what they shot the entire Black Swan on.

I don't own a DSLR, but my good friend/DP/Camera man owns a 60D. From my understanding is that the 60D offers more potential. An analogy may be between a Mac Pro and an iMac. The bottom of the line Mac Pro has almost the same spec as top of the line iMac, but the Mac Pro cost more due to it's potential to upgrade, it's ease of installing more RAM, more Harddrive, etc. etc.

It is also to my understanding that A bare body won't make any movie for you. For my friends 60D, he spent nearly 3k on accessories, 2k on lense, in order to realize the 60D's potential.

So all in all, if what you are going to spend now is all that you are going to spend, i'd recomment a T2i. but if you want to gradually invest more and more money on accessories in the future, 60D would be a good choice. I believe it has the same sensor as the 7D, which is what they shot the entire Black Swan on.

No offense, but I think you're mistaken. All the Canon crop cameras are pretty much indistinguishable from a video standpoint. Where the differences come in is the actual body and the HDMI output. The 7D and 60D are built better than the T2/3i, but the actual quality of footage is the same. I believe the 7D also outputs full HD via HDMI while the others don't. The 60D and 7D also have additional still photo features, but this has nothing to do with video.

No offense, but I think you're mistaken. All the Canon crop cameras are pretty much indistinguishable from a video standpoint. Where the differences come in is the actual body and the HDMI output. The 7D and 60D are built better than the T2/3i, but the actual quality of footage is the same. I believe the 7D also outputs full HD via HDMI while the others don't. The 60D and 7D also have additional still photo features, but this has nothing to do with video.

I see, thank you for the correction

Super huge thanks from everybody who added input. I decided to go with the T3i with 18-55 kit lens. I'm headed to Best Buy tomorrow, so unless I can be swayed in the meantime that is what I'm sticking with. I will additionally get a few memory cards and an extra battery online, and hopefully find a cheap prime online too (35mm or 50mm or something).

I really REALLY considered the GH2, but it was just enough out of my price range to not be an option. And like Wombat said, I'll probably be happy with whatever I get, so I may as well get one instead of sit around some more.

Again, thanks a bunch for taking the time to help a noob out.
Best

Before you go, check out this kit from Adorama. It was the best price I found when I bought mine:

Maybe your best buy/memory card kit you have already will beat this price but I thought it was a great deal:

http://www.adorama.com/ICAT3IKA.html

Looking at it, it didn't have the magic bullet included - that makes me sad.
Hmm, it looks like the 8GB card is the only thing extra in it.

I've never heard of Adorama before -- are they reputable? I don't see any reviews on the camera either, but maybe that's not a big issue?

The reasons I was going to Best Buy rather than online were:
1) It's quicker to pick up than to ship
2)I have ~$40 in Best Buy gift cards

They are very reputable.

You also get a reader, a camera bag and a cleaning kit.

Yeah - go with Best Buy then.

Also, I forgot to say I think they have tax on Adorama so it adds up to over 900.

They are very reputable.

You also get a reader, a camera bag and a cleaning kit.

Yeah - go with Best Buy then.

Also, I forgot to say I think they have tax on Adorama so it adds up to over 900.

Okay, with the tax that isn't worth it. It's just that the other stuff I already have, so the 8 gig would be the only thing of use to me.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Oh if you've got a bag and the other stuff then skip it - I thought you didn't have anything and the bag for me was definitely worth it. It's good quality, too.

But, cool man. Glad you chose the T3i! Won't be disappointed. The articulating screen is a lifesaver.

Good luck and post some videos up soon!

For first lenses I suggest the Canon 50mm 1.8 or a Super-Takumar 50 f/1.4 or the Pentax-M 50mm 2.0 (last one goes for about $20 on e-bay).

Then, the MIR 35 or the Helios 44-2. Those are both great.

But, also think with trying to collect a set of primes that will match, such as the Canon 50mm 1.8 will match the kit lens.

Last edited:
Yeah.

I've found some steals on e-bay recently.

Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 for $18.

Olympus 50mm f/1.8 for $12.

Vivitar 70 - 210 4.5 for $17.

The Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 I got cost me $50 and it usually goes for 130 there - guess I got lucky.

And a Pentax-M 135 f/3.5 I picked up for like $42.

The trick is finding the ones that start at .99 because the person says "I got this from an inheritance and I don't know much about photography so I'll let you decide it's worth"

I'm still waiting to find a Jupiter-9 for a dirt-cheap price.

Last edited:

What SinEater said.

I have a 60D with a Zeiss Planar 50 mm lens as my primary lens and a Canon wide angle and telephoto zooms as cor now. Though the glass is expensive I am planning on going all Zeiss primes by next summer - one penny at a time. I love my 60D and went with it over the T2 and 3i's. Though I must be honest the GH2 was my primary choice - I ordered and waited and waited and...well let's just say it was not meant to be. Oh well I am lovin' my 60D.

I did a bunch of research and also asked questions on here to - your on the right track. Stats, specs and hype aside, you'll find the machine that works for you. In the end it's just a tool. Happy hunting.

Back