What to buy, Audio and accessories $750 budget

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could help me out.

I am going to be doing an indie project and will be shooting film with my canon powershot s100.

The project does not need to have amazing video or audio quality and is not a money making project.

Our project is basically recording reactions from girls on the street and in pubs / bars when approached from a possible suitor.

The man will be micd up and the video will be shot from afar.

Here is an example of a previous project from the group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIlYOVznB-M

Now I would like to be able to have 2 people micd up at the same time.

The whole key to this project is recording genuine reactions from the girls and they must not know about being recorded. (Consent and logistics are handled and this is not an illegal project).

The equipment that I was considering is...

A large collapsible tripod for interviews etc.
a mini tripod for shooting in the field.
2 x zoom H1 and 2 x concealable microphones (lavalier style mic?)
2 x mini pinhole pen cameras to capture a different perspective. example http://www.amazon.com/Swann-DVR-421...ty-Ballpoint/dp/B004Y37DUO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_5

Spare batteries and charger for canon powershot.

I'm sure I am missing stuff here. Any help would be appreciated.

Our goal is to hopefully capture the girls reaction as well as the guy's like the video in the example.

Once again we are not looking for amazing audio or video quality. Capturing the genuine interaction is the greater goal.

Maybe there is a mic out there that is beneficial for what we are trying to accomplish?

Any help would be appreciated guys, thanks so much.

Oxy

I didn't negate any advice? I asked a similar question with regards to microphones on a different thread. This is a different question entirely wondering about setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not "elitist" at all. As far as I can tell you haven't resolved any of the issues posed.

Depending on exactly how loud the club/bar is, there is a fair chance you won't get any usable dialogue even from a lav.
Sounds like your ideas may be running ahead of what is technically possible.

You haven't picked any of the suggestions that were given.

Move to a quieter club/bar?
Perhaps you can prep the tables with plant mics, then have a wireless switching system to get the mic you need to get the other person's audio... or suspend them from the ceiling disguised as something else?
i'd say find a quietish bar and face the lav outward and get him to stand as close as possible (maybe he wears a cap and the lav goes under the visor).

I'll try a lav and function test it to see what I can come up with.

How did the experiment come out?

I may have to switch ideas and subtitle it.

Or is this what you have decided to do?

You see, there are many questions that you haven't answered, so I have to assume that you don't care.

Just about the only other thing I harp on besides capturing production sound quality is clear, concise, complete communications. In the original thread you would have saved a lot of time by letting everyone know it was a "hidden camera" project from the outset. Those are among the most difficult audio assignments under the best of conditions, and you want to do them under bad conditions. It takes a lot of skill and technical knowledge under those circumstances to achieve even marginal results, knowledge that you don't have; that's not being insulting, that's stating a fact. I always admit ignorance - I don't know an F-stop from a bus stop. But that's not my job, my job is audio.

My first advice, with any project, would be to hire a professional, my second is to work with an ambitious, knowledgeable up-and-comer. When it comes to gear my advice is to rent. Are you going to go with any of those options? You've already decided to go ahead without resolving any of the issues or answering the questions, so I have nothing on which to base my advice.

Now, here on IndieTalk there are a number of professional people who are willing to give of their time and expertise. But you need to hold up your end as well; you need to do the homework. And if you think I'm tough on you just wait until you get into the entertainment biz for real; I'll be one of the kindest people you'll meet. There are people out there who'll rip your throat out just for fun.

Back