What Should I Watch Next

I liked Primer, Man From Earth, Timecrimes, Memento, and Moon. Are there other moderately budgeted indie-type movies I might enjoy, that have a similar sci-fi bent or films that tell the tale in an usual way?

I'm thinking mainly about movies that don't require million dollar special effects or impossible locations. I find these inspirational and enjoyable to watch.

If I liked those films, what else would I truly love? Maybe...

Attack the Block
Cube
Brazil
Sunshine (2007)
The Fall
Byzantium (2013)
Sound of My Voice (2012)
Safety Not Guaranteed
Phase IV (1974)
La Jetée
Cypher (2002)
Pi

You might like Following or Eraserhead
Or even The Cube (1969), though it's technically a TV episode.
And since you mention a propensity towards cheaper effects, you might like The Saddest Music in the World.

Never Let Me Go
Monsters
Insidious
Bug
Take Shelter
Europa Report
Let The Right One In (compare & contrast with the [pathetic] remake 'Let Me In.')
Another Earth

Last edited:
Brazil is one of my favorite movies (it's been my favorite Gilliam, though Parnassus might just edge it out. And Tideland is brilliant, but not as easy to watch...) though it wasn't exactly a low budget thing at the time. The Fall is also a very expensive, though minimal film, mostly due to the location shooting. Largely funded out of Tarsem's pocket too, so a hefty bit of DIY there. And a brilliant, brilliant movie.

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra makes me happy as a fan of 50s B Sci Fi. Good BTS as well.

I love this movie so very, very much! "I'm a scientist. I don't believe in anything."

I liked Primer, Man From Earth, Timecrimes, Memento, and Moon. Are there other moderately budgeted indie-type movies I might enjoy, that have a similar sci-fi bent or films that tell the tale in an usual way?
Upstream Color
Donnie Darko
A Beautiful Mind
Fight Club
The Prestige
The Machinist
Mullholland Drive
The Usual Suspects
Inception
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Fight Club
Barton Fink

Attack the Block
Shaun of the Dead
The World's End
This is the End
Hot Fuzz

Nothing
Saw
Pontypool

12 Monkeys
City of Lost Children
Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
A Clockwork Orange
Blade Runner
Anything by Monty Python
Tideland
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Time Bandits
Fear and Loating in Las Vegas
Zodiac
Adaptation
Synecdoche, New York

Sunshine (2007)
28 Days Later
Gravity
Children of Men
Solaris
The Abyss

Mr. Nobody
Big Fish
Life of Pi
Beasts of the Southern Wild

Byzantium (2013)
Interview with a Vampire

Sound of My Voice (2012)
The East
Another Earth
Marthy Marcy May Marlene
The Master
Take Shelter

Safety Not Guaranteed
Humpday
Ruby Sparks
Moonrise Kingdom
Win Win
Stranger than Fiction

La Jetée
Again, 12 Monkeys (the remake of the film)

Cypher (2002)
Wanted
Duplicity
The Game

Requiem for a Dream
One Hour Photo
Black Swan
The Fountain
Eraserhead
Naked Lunch
Inland Empire
Being John Malkovich
Again, A Beautiful Mind
Run Lola Run

Last edited:
Splice. Production budget 30 million dollars. Oh dear, looks like it didn't break even in the box office. Shame. Excellant film.

The American Astronaut. One to two million dollars for a budget, according to Wikipedia. The ending is a bit sketchy, but apart from that I loved it. Really fun musical numbers.

Holy crap. Why is the DVD so expensive? Must have made few of them. But you can view it on Netflix and Amazon, for two options.

Smilla's Sense of Snow has some scifi elements. $35 million budget.

You might try Heartless. 5 million dollar budget. I didn't care much for it. But it's still somewhat interesting.

Have you ever seen The Martian Chronicles? I thought it had kind of an odd, creepy, dark feel to it.

The Descent. £3,500,000 budget.

"Panic Room" 3-disk set is among the best BTS I've seen.. and I typically buy DVDs and Blurays for their BTS content specifically… often moreso than the film!

... and I typically buy DVDs and Blurays for their BTS content specifically… often moreso than the film!
The two best I've seen are for 'Cabin Fever' and 'Fight Club.'

Two others worth watching but probably not buying are for 'The Expendables' (cr@p film, illuminating BTS) and 'SALT' (read the wikipedia "Development" section , as well.)

Ooooooh, thank you SO much for the head's up about those with great BTS content. I know I could learn from watching anything, but there are only so many hours in the day, so it is great to prioritize those that have valuable content!

Back