• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What Questions to Ask at A Reading?

Hi All,

My co-writers and I finally have a draft of our script that we think is ready to hear read by actors.

We have got a date and the cast all set.

We have invited some of our filmmaker/screenwriting friends whose opinions we trust. We were thinking of, after the reading, having a little feedback session.

Instead of just opening it up and saying "So, what did you think?" We were thinking of specific questions that might get the discussion rolling in a way that is helpful towards our future rewrites or revisions.

Can anybody think of some starter questions like that?

For instance:

"How would you describe (the protagonist) and what would you say her driving need is?"

"What was the first moment you felt like you really needed to see what happened next?"

"Do you feel as if the script had a true ending? What were your feelings at the end?"

"If ___________ did not happen to this character, how would you have felt?"

"How did you feel about ________ (B Story Character?) If this character were to not be in the movie at all, would it be the same movie?"

"Is there a movie that this reminds you of in tone, themes or style?"

Would really appreciate any questions people can think of.

My reason is this: I've attended many readings of other people's screenplays and plays and I always thought that the feedback or talkback portion is much more productive if the writer starts off asking questions to the audience, rather than the audience asking questions of the writer.

I just don't think it is as useful when the writers start getting asked: "So how did you come up with this idea?" Or if somebody starts simply trying to analyze the movie like a critic.

I also, after the engine gets going on the discussion, want to ask the hard questions:

"Did it feel too long? "

"When were you way ahead of the movie, (meaning were you already realizing where some things were going, ten pages before the characters?"

I try to make it easy for people.

Who was your favorite character? Your least favorite character?
(And why, which you don't usually have to ask)

What was your favorite part? Least favorite part?

Did you think it was too long, too short, or just about right length?

By the time I get through these, there's usually a lively discussion going.

Speaking from a theatrical background, one of the big things you may want to do is offer them a piece of scratch paper and a pen apiece and let them take notes, so they don't forget. Encourage them at the beginning to not be afraid to answer questions.

It is sometimes helpful to ask the actors to describe how they prepared for their character. As an actor, I will often need to create backstory to the characters I play to emote for a given scene. So you might start with the actors and say, "In the script, Mary shoulders a burden. How did you envision her and prepare for reading her role?" In the actual production, the director and actors are co-creators of our characters. It's interesting to see the nuances that other creative people pick up on.

I would avoid asking "Is it too long?" as that feedback isn't useful. What I might ask instead is "Which scenes do you feel could have been shortened without compromising the movie?" This will target attention to specific areas that you can review.

This should go without saying, but be sure that you tape it. While not accurate since you won't have actual action, it will give a close approximation of page/screen rate.

I would also ask the audience if the dialogue felt appropriate for the characters. I had one actor who adopted a British accent for this character. I hadn't written it that way but it worked, so I added it to the script. Filmmaking is a creative collaborative effort.

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity to get feedback on the script. You might ask the audience what images formed in their heads. This would help you visualize shots when you storyboard the film. Also if what they are picturing is wrong--do you want to foster that misconception (as in a mystery) or is it something that needs to be corrected.

I've found that your actors often have good insight as they often construct and deconstruct the scene and characters to find their motivation and blocking. They will often pick up on inconsistencies, dialogue issues, etc. The audience will often ask, "Why did ...?". Actors will sometimes--in an effort to please--acquiesce to movie illogic. So be sensitive and don't put your actor in the situation of defending their portrayal. Sometimes as writers we do something because it's convenient for us to move along a scene. Instead, "How would you have expected this character to handle that situation?" or "What would have made that seem more natural?".

Sounds fun!

Back