• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What NLE Do You Use?

I'm pretty sure a thread like this has been made before, but since some new advances in the post world have been rising up, I think it would be interesting to see what everyone's using. As an editor, it's very beneficial to be bi-editorial, or even tri-editorial! Interested in reading what programs you use as your main NLE, and what kind of work you do :)

I use Vegas Movie Studio (the cheap version) and HitFilm Ultimate. I tried all the cheap versions when I started, and Vegas was the only one I managed to get something actually edited and rendered in a reasonable amount of time. I like it.

That said, it definitely lacks on the collaborative side of things. As our projects start requiring more collaboration, I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and look at something like PP.

CraigL

Right now, I'm using Adobe CC. It's quite nice, despite the controversy of the subscription model.

But really, how can you not like having Adobe After Effects, Premiere, SpeedGrade, Audition and Photoshop in your arsenal for $50/month? I love Premiere Pro CC, it handles everything I've thrown at it beautifully!

Still primarily working in FCP7, for now at least...

I've tried FCPX on a couple of projects, like it but it doesn't really integrate with Color well so that kind of breaks my workflow. Since Color is EOL'd too though I'm looking into Resolve, interested in seeing how v10's new editing functionality stacks up. And Adobe just added a feature into Photoshop that will basically save me enough time to pay for a year's CC subscription in a day or so, so that's got me seriously reconsidering premier for the first time in 15 years (I composite primarily in AE too, so that's another argument for premier). And then the new Lightworks is supposed to drop for mac soon... lots of choices to consider.

Used fcp7,fcpx, now I'm using premiere pro due to my constant use of after effects, premiere is by far the simplest to use for me on windows, it reminds me of fcp7, fcpx is just too buggy and too irritating.

I use Adobe Premiere Pro CC (along with After Effects and SpeedGrade). I've been using Adobe products for ages, so I didn't have a big learning curve as far as the software goes when I started doing video editing.

But my first-ever short (the one that will never see the light of day) was edited using iMovie. Because that's what I had available at the time.

Not surprised there aren't any Avid users who posted, though Avid hasn't been particularly strong in the indie world...

I prefer FCP7 as my main go-to, but I work in Avid MC during the day and have freelanced a few gigs in FCPX. It's nice to see people calming down to the reaction of FCPX. I recently worked a job for a new Window's phone app that required about 1,000 thirty-second videos to be multicammed and edited down. FCPX was literally the only way to accomplish this in the deadline, as it can render and export while you're already opening and starting your next project (event). Yes, there were many editors on this project - haha.

Adobe is also great for those who composite and the closest thing to FCP7. Very excited to see what HitFilm will be like in the upcoming future, and how Lightworks will fare with Mac.

EVERYONE! BE A SWISS ARMY KNIFE! :)

My DP and other VFX colleagues are Nuke users. Since the tool was already at hand, we could use it (with expertise) with no additional investment. This was a huge draw.

Initially, we weren't going to use Nuke for both VFX and grading, until I came across a free plugin that allows us to export an XML from FCP7 (w/handles!), import into NUKE, and write out as many revisions of each shot we want. The same plugin generates a new XML that rebuilds the cut in FCP7 using the latest comp-ed version of each shot. I've round-tripped a few test shots and it works great.

We are presently settling on a workflow that allows us to send out VFX shots to multiple artists (in various cities), and the DP can email his latest grading node to them. When the composite is completed, the Nuke script (not the QT) is emailed back to me to be rendered locally (thus saving the hassle of massive file transfers).

The goal is to use VFX friends from all over the world with as little hassle as possible. There's no single/best way to do all this, so we are still finding our way, but we are learning to do our best with available resources.

Thomas

Not surprised there aren't any Avid users who posted, though Avid hasn't been particularly strong in the indie world...

I tried Avid, and I've messed around with a LOT of video editing software, and couldn't believe how complicated I found it. There were just so many buttons/menus/options that even after spending a couple of days learning it, I just couldn't quite grasp it. I couldn't even figure out how to freely move clips in a timeline...

My personal favorite is definitely Adobe Premiere, but I do also like FCPX (I just don't want to spend $300 on it at the moment!), and when I had a Windows machine I exclusively used Sony Vegas, which I feel is a seriously underrated program. I wish they had a Mac version, I would definitely use the crap out of it!

Almost all the TV shows I do are on Avid. Indie features I use FCP 7, mainly because it's on my rig which they rent. The ad agencies are split between Avid and FCP. So far only one agency is switching to Premiere but it looks like a few others are looking into it, especially those that are doing a lot of after effects and photoshop work as well.

My DP and other VFX colleagues are Nuke users. Since the tool was already at hand, we could use it (with expertise) with no additional investment. This was a huge draw.

Initially, we weren't going to use Nuke for both VFX and grading, until I came across a free plugin that allows us to export an XML from FCP7 (w/handles!), import into NUKE, and write out as many revisions of each shot we want. The same plugin generates a new XML that rebuilds the cut in FCP7 using the latest comp-ed version of each shot. I've round-tripped a few test shots and it works great.

We are presently settling on a workflow that allows us to send out VFX shots to multiple artists (in various cities), and the DP can email his latest grading node to them. When the composite is completed, the Nuke script (not the QT) is emailed back to me to be rendered locally (thus saving the hassle of massive file transfers).

The goal is to use VFX friends from all over the world with as little hassle as possible. There's no single/best way to do all this, so we are still finding our way, but we are learning to do our best with available resources.

Thomas

VERY cool. I'd love to be in the loop of this! :)

I tried Avid, and I've messed around with a LOT of video editing software, and couldn't believe how complicated I found it. There were just so many buttons/menus/options that even after spending a couple of days learning it, I just couldn't quite grasp it. I couldn't even figure out how to freely move clips in a timeline...

My personal favorite is definitely Adobe Premiere, but I do also like FCPX (I just don't want to spend $300 on it at the moment!), and when I had a Windows machine I exclusively used Sony Vegas, which I feel is a seriously underrated program. I wish they had a Mac version, I would definitely use the crap out of it!

The concept behind Avid sprouts from the old tape-based workflow. Lots of principles are there, and it's been almost virtually the same for years. The option to freely move clips can be done with the Smart Tool, but is generally a trademark of Apple workflow. Premiere is the closest thing to FCP, but I get a little bit of a headache from the UI. Still, it's a remarkable program.

Almost all the TV shows I do are on Avid. Indie features I use FCP 7, mainly because it's on my rig which they rent. The ad agencies are split between Avid and FCP. So far only one agency is switching to Premiere but it looks like a few others are looking into it, especially those that are doing a lot of after effects and photoshop work as well.

Yeah that seems to be the case in the ad world, yet a few places are rigged up with all three NLE's. It really pays to know both FCP and Avid. Do you program any of your keyboards to be a hybrid of both systems?

I feel like houses will ditch FCP7 if they decide to switch to Mavericks, since rumors are buzzing that the OS update may break the code.

Back