What movies were filmed with Blackmagic cameras?

I am looking for movies and tv shows that have been filmed with Blackmagic cameras and edited with their Davinci Resolve software. Thank you.

Thanks for the responses guys. Is there any popular TV shows or mainstream movies that used Blackmagic Cameras? Also how do you find the learning curve of the cameras?

Australian TV Show Puberty Blues used Blackmagic Cameras as C/D cameras. The DP, John Brawley, has a pretty close relationship with them.

How does the show look on TV in terms of quality? I am wondering if BMC can replicate the look of let's say a RED camera or a Canon c300. Sometimes it's hard to see everything on youtube.

In general you get what you pay for. BMC looks great, especially if you're shooting RAW, but the other cameras you listed cost much more money and will have better image quality.

Just use the best camera you can afford on your budget.

I'd guess that in most cases (assuming you're shooting raw on the BM and lighting, etc professionally) the difference between what you end up seeing on screen between those cameras will come down as much to the skills of the colorist as anything else. All three, used well, can give you solid material to work with.

How does the show look on TV in terms of quality? I am wondering if BMC can replicate the look of let's say a RED camera or a Canon c300.

Making TV shows (or films) is not just about the "look"! I'm not saying the "look" is unimportant, what I'm saying is that there are other considerations beyond just the look/quality of the images. See below:

All three, used well, can give you solid material to work with.

That depends on exactly you mean by "solid material". If you mean just image quality I'm sure you're right but if you're talking about more "solid" and usable "material" in general, then it's no contest, the c300 and RED win hands down over the BMCC! Both the c300 and Red Epic (and all other higher-end professional cameras) have full timecode/gen-lock capability, the BMCC doesn't and this is certainly one of the reasons the BMCC is considerably cheaper.

Timecode/gen-lock capability not only locks the cameras together in multi-cam shoots but locks the camera/s to the production sound. Timecode/gen-locked "material" is certainly more "solid" as it avoids the inevitable drift between sound and picture but in addition, it significantly impacts the workflow (time/difficulty and therefore cost) of audio post. For lo/no budget amateur filmmaking this capability is not so critical but commercial TV shows have extremely strict and often very complex audio specifications (country/network dependent) which must be met and means the use of commercial audio post facilities/personnel cannot be avoided.

For the amateur filmmaker, the cost saving of the BMCC would certainly seem to make sense in the vast majority of circumstances but for professional filmmakers the added cost of a timecode/gen-lock capable camera (and audio recorder) is more than off-set.

G

Last edited:
Definitely, I'm just talking about image quality. To give you very high image quality at a low price a lot of compromises have been made in the hardware which can significantly impact usability and workflow. For a very low end production with far more time than money it's worth the trade off. For any production with a moderate budget the difference in cost isn't significant compared to the time (and thus money) you'll save in production and post using a camera that's designed with the needs of a professional crew and post workflow in mind. That's why the Alexa has turned out to be so popular for television production - Arri knows how to make a camera that not only has great picture quality, but also makes everyone's job easier (or at minimum, not harder). I'd say BM is at the opposite end of the spectrum, followed by Red, with Canon & Sony hitting the mid-range of pro-functionality vs. image quality vs. price.

Back