• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What lenses do you use and for which types of shots?

Of course, a lot of this depends on which sensor size you're using and what type of thing you're shooting. Let's assume you're talking about narrative work, with something like an S35 sensor. Personally, I have a 20mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm plus a 28-85 straight f2.8 zoom. I've shot a feature and a bunch of shorts and I bet I shot 75-80 percent of that stuff on the 35mm. Ideally, you're making lens choice based on a subject to background ratio, but in small budget stuff, things are never ideal. Working in small spaces, having to keep things out of the shot, etc all play a part in that choice. The 35mm just kept working out for me. Obviously, in some tight corners I was on the 20mm, and sometimes if i had a 2-shot with the 35mm, I could slap on one of the longer lenses for singles without too big a move and I'd be on the longer lenses if the background sucked. That's just my experience, and in part my style, and again it really depends on what your doing. Documentaries, music videos might change the equation.

Back