What is with the cheap cameras?

Alright, I am in the process of buying a new camera. The industry standard for performance and quality is the DVX100a, and I have been researching them.

I am getting a couple of different prices from different places?

jr.com sells for- $ 2899.88 after a $500.00 rebate.
jr.com

expresscameras.com sells for - 2099.00 flat with no rebate + free case, tripod and cleaning system. $89 value.
Express Cameras.com

Panasonic sells direct for - $3995.00 before a $500.00 rebate with terms as well as 800.00 in accesories.
Panasonic.com

Many others have similar prices, I just wanted to quote a few for examples.

The old adage, " if it seems to good to be true, it probably is " comes to mind. Can anyone tell me what the deal is with this?

If there is something fishy going on, can you recommend a cheaper reputable dealer?

Thanks.

After reading some of the horrid experiences of these guys at Express Camera's, I am going to call them, drag the order on and on, get them really wound up, get their hopes up, and hopefully keep them on the phone as long as I can. I will F* with them for a while, a couple weeks maybe, for amusement. I will post the phone convo's on the internet if anyone is interested in hearing them.

Sounds fun, but realistically it's a waste of time. You could be putting all that energy into filming/writing something. :)

Btw, that one place has about a dozen other camera sites all operating from the same place.

You "coouuld" be using your energy writing or filimg something, or you could get a couple guys that are routinely f*ing people over really mad and upset, but stay on the phone for the hope of a sale.

That's like being able to whip a thirsty man (everytime he reached for the water) that is tied to a stake, when a refreshing Evian is just two feet out of his reach.

Hell, I might be able to get some inspiration out of it.. The pictures are already forming in my head.

Shaw said:
Definitely scams :)

Buy from either EVS (evsonline.com) or B&H (bhphoto.com). Both are highly reputable dealers.

Another is willoughbys camera in NY. Authorised Panasonic dealer. I recently bought a lense from them which they shipped to me here in Japan.. no problems at all. Also sending you a pm

Good to know ncje! Always good to know of another reliable outlet.

Was the PM note in reference to me? I just haven't recieved any and don't want to accidentally ignore someone :)

AH no mate was to wattersk.... Willoughbys dont have as much in the way of accessories etc like BH and evs... but for camera purchase they are good. If you want an ana lense check thier ebay listing... I got onee from them via ebay for around $600.

Back