What is the purpose of film school?

I've been considering going to film school for some time now, but as far as I understand, it's hard to do something with a degree in film, and I don't want to be in debt for the rest of my life for nothing!

So if somebody who has gone to film school could please explain to me the purpose of it, and the benefits of attending, I would really appreciate it.

Multiple answers:
A) It helps bypass some of the floundering "what do I do next" bits that many of us have had to go through while stubbornly insisting that we can do without it.

B) Depending on the school you go to, there should be some purely academic film stuff that allows you more exposure to different styles that you wouldn't otherwise find.

C) You'll end up networking with not only a body of students who are motivated and film nuts like you, but possibly industry pros as well who come to give talks and seminars (again depending on the schools).

D) A degree.

E) More importantly, a portfolio/reel from the work you do in school.

There's quite a few threads on this topic here. Let me see if I can find some for you...

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=36672
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=35967
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=35113
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=34600
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=34039

The decision to go to film school is a personal and totally subjective one. There's a lot of arguments for and against. In the end you'll have to make your own choice.

E) More importantly, a portfolio/reel from the work you do in school.

Not necessarily. I have some friends from high school who went to film school. They all have one project that is actually original and could be put on their reels. All their other 'work' from school consists of editing trailers from hollywood films.

This is an age old question.
Not to offend anyone (but I know this probably will, sorry) but personally I think alot of people who go to filmschool want to be involved in making movies but lack creativity or artistic vision. They need to be coached along the way. I'm sure someone is now gonna show me a list of all the successful directors and the film school's they attended. But lets the see the list of the tens of thousands who plunked all that money down and now work for accounts payable at some .com company.

I mean if your goal is to work in film on a technical level than by all means you NEED film school. However if your goal is to be a successful writer/director then I don't think it is absolutely necessary. Just get writing and write something brilliant that can't be denied.

Not necessarily. I have some friends from high school who went to film school. They all have one project that is actually original and could be put on their reels. All their other 'work' from school consists of editing trailers from hollywood films.

That's how college is supposed to be. They give you the platform and you have to do the legwork. You decide what you get out of school and ultimately how valuable it is in the long run. You have to go above and beyond if you truly want to get something out of it.

If you go to film school, use that time and the available resources to create projects besides just the ones your teachers request of you. Create, create, create. It can be valuable if you want it to be (that goes for all colleges).

Good luck !! :cool:

To separate a fool from his (parent's) money.

Most of these suck, big time.
http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...5l6421l0l9630l11l11l0l1l1l0l184l1265l2.8l10l0

I can do at least that bad without spending money on a single credit hour.
Let alone 120 of them for a BFA.

Frankly, if I spent as a production budget whatever your school of choice charges per credit hour on each (on average) of 120 shorts I imagine I'd probably be leaps and bounds ahead of most of these graduating thesis films by the end.

The "do I go to film school or not?" question has been debated to death here on IndieTalk and myriad other forums, and the answers are as varied as the people who attempt to answer the question.

As to the purpose of film school...

Most professions are very technical in nature and require very specific knowledge - law, medicine, finance, engineering, the sciences, etc. The "arts" require just as much technical knowledge as any other. Knowledge is objective; it can be quantified, graded, enumerated, etc. as it is very specific. The problem with the Arts - writing, painting, dance, music, photography, film - is that the application of all the objective knowledge is applied in an extremely subjective way. So your failure or success will depend upon how well you apply your accumulated objective knowledge in a subjective format.

The problem with film schools is not that they focus on the technical aspects of filmmaking, it is that a very large percentage of the students come out believing that technical knowledge is all that is required to be a filmmaker, and tend to turn their noses up at those who do not get a formal cinematic education. And the converse is also true; those who have learned on their own look askance at their formally educated brethren who "wasted all that money and have nothing to show for it."

Everyone has to adapt their learning to their own situation. Some folks are very comfortable in a formal educational atmosphere. Others are much happier learning by doing or in a more casual learning environment. My point of view, because that has been what has worked well for me, is "learning what I need to learn"; that is to learn by doing, hit a knowledge or technical roadblock, and then do some intensive research to fill the gap. That may be reading a book, or taking a seminar, or a short intensive course. Sometimes I even get lucky enough to get advice or a consult with someone I admire.

You will get out of your education what you put into it. You get out of your career what you put into it.

But no matter what you do the creative inspiration comes from within the artist, and no amount of schooling or otherwise acquired technical skills can substitute for talent.

I have a BA in film. The school I went to is more of a Film Studies program with a production track to it. Our program was filled with really creative and artistic people who were learning the technical aspects (great way to approach it if you ask me). We also got a really strong foundation in film history and a broad exposure to tons of different kinds of films from all over the world and throughout history as well. Lots of working at breaking down scenes and films for heavy critical analysis -- lots of theory.

This program left me with half a dozen pieces to put on my reel including some stuff that was shot on film.

The school you pick is important -- not all film schools are created equal!

Some of them are pointless other than to teach you all the stuff you could learn for free online... others really approach it as an academic pursuit and give a really strong breadth and depth of learning, including making sure you have the tools you need to find employment after your degree -- or the information you need to move onto get a higher degree in many different aspects of film if you so choose.

The UCLA film school started this same way, with a bunch of students within an academic film studies setting who wanted to take the next step -- the whole big 70s "Film School Generation" of directors. I think it's a stronger way to approach this education -- and you end up with folks who have already worked together, so if one of them succeeds, they will generally grab the people who they've worked with in the past to move forward with them.

Pick your school carefully. Make sure you'll come out with both knowledge and a portfolio. Ask the department to see their reel :)

Reason for Film School

A lot of people wonder if film school is the right move or if it is worth it. For me I decided to go and I really enjoyed my time there, as far as what I learned though, it wasn't overwhelmingly useful. I took film school as the positive push that I needed to get the courage to go on sets and work, I don't think I ever would have applied for film work without having gone to school. It taught me the basic knowledge but most of what I have learned, I learned after school from working. Hope that helps.
-Courtney

Last edited by a moderator:
Back