• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What gives you inspiration to write?

I really don't believe writing is a business. It's art. It's worth to die in order to write a good script or, generally, make a good art, almost like Heath Ledger did. It's really disgusting to see scriptwriters carring only about how they'll get paid.

What is your inspiration to write really intensive, emotional or violent scenes? Mine are metal music and too much alcohol.

Today morning, I was drunk and heard to this song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u0hD6drLq4

I saw it says about a girlfriend and a piano. So I didn't and I don't wanna hear anything else from the lyrics. What I wanted to think is that it says about a man killing his beloved girlfriend while she plays the piano and he just describes the scene, singing. Of course, the song is not about that, but I didn't know it since it's in german and I refused to read the other lyrics. So I wanted to think this and it gave me inspiration to write seven pages with really small font size.

Last edited:
I didn't know it since it's in german and I refused to read the other lyrics. So I wanted to think this and it gave me inspiration to write seven pages with really small font size.

I have one massive question... if reading some subtitiles from this 4 minute song along with your addictions inspired you to write seven pages of a really small sized font, what would make you think anyone would be interested in reading it.... if you refused to sit and read with the music that inspired your writing.

I must have written over 50 short scripts (ranging from just over 2 minutes to 45 minutes) with in the last 18 months and only a few things have inspited my writing - The Original Dracula, Ancient Rome, the WOD pen & paper games (like D&D) and lastly Twilight (Only in the way I thought it was horrible writing in the book and turned into much worse films [imo])

The rest of the writing I have done.... bordem inspired me, I unplugged the internet and stared at my PC until I was crazy enough to write and then it usually came out in bursts of unrelated films, like the gold fish who explored Mars.

for everyone else: if you are not being paid to write and you do not like doing it.... don't do it.

P.S. To die for your art/writing is a bad thing - if my script flew out of a plane.... I would not be jumping out to catch it.

P.P.S. as an after thought i'm sure in some cases using drugs or drinking way way too much could make your art better, if you were a painter, astract sculptor, clothes designer.... but a writer.... I would have some hell of a job reading the jibberish I had written.

Also, I enjoyed reading everyone elses comments.

I just listen to music and ideas pop into my head. I write down the name of a song and create a track list that surrounds the movie that I'm writing about (about 20-30 songs). Then as I'm writing it - i listen to these tracks. Works for me :)

My inspriation is my interests. I'll sit there, playing a video game, watching a certain tv program, reading about certain historical events, etc and then get a brainwave. It can be one sentance, or even a short phrase, that catches my imagination and makes me think 'that'll make a good film'. Then i'll start writing, all the time bearing in mine what interest led me there. For example, my first short is oging to be based around a post-apocalyptic society, as i'm interested in that sort of thing. I just hope that my interests are the same as some investors, and one day they'll put their faith and money into me. Lets face it, thats what we all want. A secure career within the film industry. Personally i want to be a director, but who knows what path i may be led down.

I just listen to music and ideas pop into my head. I write down the name of a song and create a track list that surrounds the movie that I'm writing about (about 20-30 songs). Then as I'm writing it - i listen to these tracks. Works for me :)

thats good, i like to do that after writing a treatment when i move onto a script draft

otherwise, i like the shower effect. i'm working on producing something someone else wrote, and then i take a shower, while distracted, i come up with my own ideas. it also works when i shovel snow, coach basketball, watch bad tv, etc, etc, etc

sometimes when writing with someone, we discuss what we want to focus on in our movie, a location, building an insane character, a recent event that happened to us, and then go from there

Back