What exactly does a Producer do?

The title, basically. Every other role makes sense, apart from the producer. Does it help fund projects, is that basically it? Like a publisher?

Confused :huh:

It depends on 'what type of producer' you are talking about.

Here's a great article about the different types.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/movie-producer4.htm

I know I'm calling anyone who donates money to my current Crowdtilt campaign a "Producer" in the credits, and vary which type of producer, depending on donated amount - but at the end of the day - I'M THE PRODUCER, because I'm overseeing making the production happen - and yes I'm raising money and using my own as well. (Does that make me the Executive Producer?) I agree it's confusing.

The article is still extremely vague and unenlightening. It mentions duties, but, with the exception of the line producer, does not really specify what those duties are.

At the low/no/mini/micro budget indie level there are "money" producers and "hands-on" producers. "Money" producers will put up some capital. "Hands-on" producers are essentially line producers, and are the 1st ACs alter ego; they are the directors off-set buffer/organizer the way the AC is the on-set buffer/organizer; at least that's how it is supposed to work.

I occasionally work with an indie producer who, at least in my opinion, is a great indie producer. I'm not privy to everything that she does (fund-raising, budgeting, etc.), but she's terrific at the working level. Her job is, as she describes it, to serve the director and the directors vision, to keep the project on time and on budget, and to keep everyone involved happy and motivated. All I know is that working on her projects is fun, I'll work with good people whether they are long-time pros or newbs, and that I'm going to eat really well. A happy crew and cast will work hard, and she gets everyone to put out 1,000%

Usually:

Producer = buys a script, finds the money, hires a director, makes sure the shoot progresses as smoothly as possible, arranges for distribution, collects the Best Picture Oscar.

Co-producer = partner of the producer, may or may not be involved in the actual day-to-day production.

Associate producer = could mean anything. Star's agent, attached name, or even someone who actually worked on the film.

Executive producer = provided money, or loaned his name to the production in order to attract money and/or distribution.

Oh, and Line producer = a UPM (unit production manager) who went above and beyond the call of duty...which is saying a lot!

And that's the way it is...except when it's not. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The article is still extremely vague and unenlightening. It mentions duties, but, with the exception of the line producer, does not really specify what those duties are.

At the low/no/mini/micro budget indie level there are "money" producers and "hands-on" producers. "Money" producers will put up some capital. "Hands-on" producers are essentially line producers, and are the 1st ACs alter ego; they are the directors off-set buffer/organizer the way the AC is the on-set buffer/organizer; at least that's how it is supposed to work.

I occasionally work with an indie producer who, at least in my opinion, is a great indie producer. I'm not privy to everything that she does (fund-raising, budgeting, etc.), but she's terrific at the working level. Her job is, as she describes it, to serve the director and the directors vision, to keep the project on time and on budget, and to keep everyone involved happy and motivated. All I know is that working on her projects is fun, I'll work with good people whether they are long-time pros or newbs, and that I'm going to eat really well. A happy crew and cast will work hard, and she gets everyone to put out 1,000%

I'm a bartender, so you can take my answer with a grain of salt, but I've tried my best to learn about the same subject, and Alcove is confirming everything I've taken in.

The only thing I would add is that the official titles would normally be "Executive Producer" for the person supplying the money, and the person who actually does the work is just "Producer". On ultra-low-budget stuff, it's not unusual for the executive producer and the producer to be the same person, in which case, they're just called "Producer".

That is all great information, I am definitely a lot clearer now, I see the place for a producer when a director wants to focus on the film rather than everything else, at this moment for my first short film I am the writer, director, producer, and line producer..

Back