What do they want?

I have the crazy idea of finding out what particular distributors are looking for before writing/directing a feature. Everyone knows about genre distributors like Troma that sell MiniDV horror-schlock type DVDs, but that genre isn't really my thing. I'm hoping that there are other genre distributors out there that cover romance, sci fi, sports drama, etc. My impression is that action (from Asia) and horror are pretty well represented.

I found this directory . I wish that indies could simply list a film with Netflix. There is also http://www.greencine.com.

For example, if I found 3 companies that distributed "harlequin romance" type pics, I'd be happy to make a film like that if I had some reasonable shot at selling it.

Distributors...

filmscheduling said:
I have the crazy idea of finding out what particular distributors are looking for before writing/directing a feature. Everyone knows about genre distributors like Troma that sell MiniDV horror-schlock type DVDs, but that genre isn't really my thing. I'm hoping that there are other genre distributors out there that cover romance, sci fi, sports drama, etc. My impression is that action (from Asia) and horror are pretty well represented.

I found this directory . I wish that indies could simply list a film with Netflix. There is also http://www.greencine.com.

For example, if I found 3 companies that distributed "harlequin romance" type pics, I'd be happy to make a film like that if I had some reasonable shot at selling it.

I know 3 people that work for distributors...

I keep hearing the same thing... All things being equal, they want movies they can sell easily. Drama and romantic comedies are a hard sell even if they're done correctly but with no names. With a name, you might have a chance if the production is done well.

Anyway, they keep telling me, Horror or Children's films. One or the other although, they need Children's films really bad. Huge untapped market apparently. These are the easiest to sell... I'm talking about video/DVD distribution here. They also say that they will look at a well done Thriller but it has to be well done.

Hope that helps you a little...

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:

I have it on vey good authority Hallmark always have production budgets for TV movies and are open to new talent. They're throwing reasonable budgets at HD productions at the moment.

I considered it myself at one point but I've carved a niche out for myself in the arthouse market and I'm not a natural choice for romantic TV movies as my work is a little dark for their tastes.

I just telephoned the acquisitions people at distribution companies and asked them what they wanted to buy the next year and what they didn't want.

They told me what they wanted to buy right up front, so I didn't have to guess. Their answers were always product which they knew they could sell and described it for me.

I think knowing what your "customer" wants to buy before "manufacturing" something they may not want is essential to producing product they actually want to buy.

It was interesting, the acquisition people all seemed to wonder why indie filmmakers rarely seem to ask them what they want to buy and distribute before going through the trouble and expense of making a film.

I would assume because nobody had ever given them the idea before, or figured that the distributors wouldn't be interested in talking to them.

I must admit, I'd never thought of it before now, but if you're looking at film as a business rather than a hobby, it does make perfect sense to know what your potential audience is looking for. Hmmm. Though short, this is a very informative thread. One of the guys I like to work with from time to time is a published author, and not a bad screenwriter.. -- in the literary world, he writes childrens stories. Think I'll have to get in his ear about this. Sometimes the obvious just bounces off the radar screen. :D

It comes down, as FJ says, to an easy sell. Names are easy to sell, and so are genre films. That's just speaking generally of course.

It sounds to me like you're going with what you like, which is the right way to go. I'm a big believer that quality also sells. I think if you make a great movie, in whatever genre with no names, SOMEONE will want it. Either festivals will lead to buzz that gets you distribution, or someone at some company somewhere will simply champion it on your behalf.

...if you make a great movie...

That's a big if.. I think the major problem is that far too many people rush through pre-production into production and then rush through post production. I didn't mention the production stage because I think if things are planned out properly the actual principle photography stage can be done fairly quickly. But rushing into production without a rock-solid script, and all the other appropriate pre-prod is a big problem that lots of us (myself included) are guilty of. Then rushing through post without spending appropriate time on coloring and sound kills a lot of potentially decent films.

<rant>

I'm all for independent film, and doing it on your own and all that, but the sad fact is, most of what's created on micro and no budget is painful to watch -- and definitely far from "great". While it would be silly to expect a no budget film to have the same look and feel of a studio production, I think if even half the energy spent on "trying to achieve a film look" were applied to all aspects of making the film it would show in the final product and these films would not only be more watchable, but be more salable.

</rant>

I'm all for independent film, and doing it on your own and all that, but the sad fact is, most of what's created on micro and no budget is painful to watch -- and definitely far from "great".

At no point do I suggest anything to the contrary. That's why I said, "if." ;)

I'm taking it for granted in my post that of those trying to get a film made, only about 1% will actually get it done. And of those, only about 1% will get distribution. That's why I think even films in harder to sell genres and no names have a chance to sell. Really good films stand out from the other 99%.

You can NEVER go wrong with genre films - horror, action that kinda thing. Films that fit into a bracket. If you go to AFM or Cannes the bulk of films on sale aer these 'fit into a catagory' type films. This are easier to sell, have a home and a market already in place.

Its when you make a film outside of these defined genres that the problems start. If a distributor cant catagorise it and sell it easy you will find it hard to get good sales.

Back