What do I get next?

Alright. I am a 16 year old film maker. I have finished two shorts so far, both are action shorts. I have a Canon T3i with a RODE Go mic. I have lights, a flycam stabalizer, a spider steady, tripod, and a few lenses (Kit, 50mm 1.8, 75-300mm) I am wondering what I should look into adding to my collection. I have a budget of around 200 dollars, but I might be able to squeeze out 300. Any recommendations are good. I just want to know if there are any key things I am missing or are worth getting. I have looked into Jibs, but I don't have a heavy duty tripod. Thanks!

Well.. I used to think I need all the equipment.. .so I bought it... Now I learned the lesson... You don't need the equipment, you need people with equipment, even if you have the equipment, how can you use it all at the same time by yourself? and even if you have people will they be good at using it? from my experience (or my bad luck) I have the equipment and ask retards to help me out, who ruin the project... by retards I mean a camera guy who has NO idea about how to use HIS OWN camera and wanted to use wet baby wipes to clean his lens and a guy who thinks positioning a shot gun towards traffic and wind will be fine... so basically... before getting any more equipment make sure you have the right people (intelligent people) to use it... otherwise just dont get any more equipment and look for people with equipment.... I have a lot of equipment and nobody to help me out so.... yeah. that's my point of view

I'm in the same boat as LDS, lots of gear and no one to run it all.
That's not really a bad place to be though. I'm guessing you're in high school so you've got a pretty good network of people to work with.
I wish filmmaking had been this accessible when I was a high schooler, I used to think of all kinds of great movies to make, but in the mid 70s there just wasn't any way a kid with no money could make them.

I'd be concentrating on the creative part now, work on treatments and scripts and then get some of your school chums to help out. You'll be surprised how many want to help out, but you'll have to weed out the ones that aren't very serious.

Best of luck to you!

Back