what did you use???

Canon XL-1 / Tripod / Monitor (these three pieces have a cool history. You might remember a commercial for Listerine, one shot, a person in front of a mirror squishing Listerine all around. The narrator saying 30 seconds, just 30 seconds. This equipment was used to shoot that. I bought it from the Director.)

Lowell Omni lighting kit: 4 omnis, barn doors, gels, stands, umbrellas.

Rode 2 mic and lightest boom pole

Sun reflector, extra bulbs, dimmer switches (made those myself), and a bunch of other crap.

In total my movie (actor salaries, transportation, purchasing all equipment, food etc) cost between 10 - 15 thousand. Since I kept no receipts I really have no clear idea. But, the equipment took the bulk of that.

the first storyboarded

Panasonic P2 Cam
Final Cut Pro
$500 - mostly spent on beer and lights.
2 day shoot

Beans & Rice - http://tuneintheater.com

I'd done a few tiny projects before, but never with the planning that went into this.

bob

Oh yeah, and a steady cam built from steel pipe and a few weights

Not counting the hundreds of shorts I shot with my VHS camcorder in the late 80's/ early 90's...my first legit film was a zombie feature on an XL1 for around 8K. It's actually a really bare-bones, entertaining micro-budget zed flick. The audio and video in the trailer here isn't as good as the real film on DVD...this online trailer is darker than the real film is.

I wasn't the director, but we were all friends, I was the lead actor, and also had a major hand in random crewing...I'm the dude with the long hair.

This was a while ago...here is the trailer:

LIVING DEAD WORLD

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1173851

ps. By the way, who do I have to sleep with to get my embedded videos up? None of my embed codes work?

Last edited:
first real film with a budget was "the theif." a 3 minute short about a man who steals a ring to give to his love, but alas gets caught in the end. an homage to the charlie chaplain days, shot on arri-s 16mm (still shot at 24 fps, sped up in post) and accompanied by Scott Joplin's Cake Walk. Production Designed for very little, used things I already had, could borrow, or found in thrift shops. Total budget was about $150, and that fed my mini crew (5) and actors (2)! Good times.

My first film was in 1984 with a budget of 3 bucks. I shot it on a Quazar VHS camcorder and edited by putting the VHS tape in the VCR and re-recording raw footage displayed on the tube with the camera, in the order I wanted... sometimes with a jambox playing the background music I wanted.
Today, my studio's gear is insured at 100k and seldom do I rent anything.
My point is an artist can create masterpeices with a chissle and stone. Tools will never replace tenacity.

Back