What clip on microphones should I buy?

I want to buy some good quality clip-on microphones for the purpose of film-making, does anyone have any experience with them, or what to look for in a set?

There are different "clip-on" (we sound guys tend to use the term lavalier) type microphones.

Do the mics have to be hidden? Will they be worn under clothing? Is there environmental issues such as wind and rain? Even the timbre of the talent's voice plays a role in selecting the appropriate lavalier.

Typically, film utilizes omnidirectional lavaliers whereas most live events employ cardioid designs.

Some of the names you'll see here quite a bit are:

Countryman
Tram
Rode
Sennheiser

Since the mic selection is based on the unique setting and application, it's hard to say that any one is the correct one for you. Moving a lavalier microphone a few inches can have a greater impact on the recording than whether it was a $200 microphone, or a $400 microphone.

Describe your intended usage a bit more, and I'm sure we can help you focus your search.

I want to buy some good quality clip-on microphones for the purpose of film-making, does anyone have any experience with them, or what to look for in a set?

Thanks for the terminology.
We'll be using the mics for a hidden camera project. That means we don't want the microphones to be too visible, but we also want to pick up what any member of the public might say, so the audience can see and hear everything that's happening. This also means we'll be recording in busy places, where there will be a lot of background sounds that will be out of our control.
Now being a student I can't afford to pay more than $100, but I am not too fussed on buying the fanciest equipment, I just want something a little versatile that can do the job, I don't mind if there's a bit of static or fuzziness.

Given your application, it sounds like wireless lavs are the way to go, and I don't know of any way to implement wireless for $100. Even a wired lav, with power supply will set you back more than $100.

Thanks for the terminology.
We'll be using the mics for a hidden camera project. That means we don't want the microphones to be too visible, but we also want to pick up what any member of the public might say, so the audience can see and hear everything that's happening. This also means we'll be recording in busy places, where there will be a lot of background sounds that will be out of our control.
Now being a student I can't afford to pay more than $100, but I am not too fussed on buying the fanciest equipment, I just want something a little versatile that can do the job, I don't mind if there's a bit of static or fuzziness.

I see you're in the UK so if you go to Maplin then you can get some pretty cheap clip on mics.

I would be worried that if you are using these mics the range isn't going to be great enough to pic up what people are saying (other than the person wearing the mic). Perhaps you should considered renting the mics, so that you can get that better quality but only for a week or so.

You need to define the project more.

Okay, it's "hidden cam" but is it in a fixed location? What type of location? How big? What's nearby? Are you doing interviews? Pranking? And a dozen other questions.

It is possible to use "plant" mics; you can hide a lav or other small mic in a flower arrangement, a lamp, hang it overhead, on a person, etc., but you need to choose the right tools (mics) for the situation. And the smaller and more unobtrusive the mic the more expensive it gets. And if you're not going to be able to run wires it will have to be wireless; even crappy wireless runs over $200; reliable wireless starts at about $600.

Back