• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

screenplay What are typical lengths of successful screenplays?

I am working on my first screenplay using software that provides proper formatting. I find that I am nearing the end of the story and I have approximately 45 – 50 pages. I am guessing this is probably too short. I am looking for ideas on how to fill this out. Generally speaking, would you add more dialogue, expand current scenes?

Unfortunately, it sounds like you don't have ENOUGH story and if I had to guess? This sounds like it's one of, if not your first screenplay so that further tells me that it's probably overwritten which means in reality? It's probably even shorter than you think.

If you're trying to become a screenwriter and eventually put something you've written out into the market? Most everyone in the industry who reads screenplays is going to first look to see how many pages your screenplay has overall. When they see anything over 120 pages and start reading and see overwriting? Unless you're very talented and we can SEE the genius come through the writing (this rarely if ever happens)? They're going to stop reading and move on to the next script in the pile.

There's just way too many scripts out there floating around not to.

Good luck!

Last edited:
If you're just getting started as a screenwriter, it's a good idea to start with shorts. Think in terms of a 5-10 minute movie, so 5-10 pages long.

Work on telling a good story in that length, and get comfortable with writing screenplays. Then move on to trying a feature length screenplay.

And yes - good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you for some good advice. But the problem I have is that the story playing in my head will not stop ... and the only way to stop it is to put it in writing. 10 pages would never do. So for better or worse I will continue with this project. When that is done I will revisit the short version.

Thank you for some good advice. But the problem I have is that the story playing in my head will not stop ... and the only way to stop it is to put it in writing. 10 pages would never do. So for better or worse I will continue with this project. When that is done I will revisit the short version.
Then go for it.

Don't think about the typical length of successful screenplays.
Finish it as it is. This is your first screenplay. It will not sell or be
made into a movie. This is for YOU and you alone to learn.

Once you start your third screenplay then put into action what
you have learned from reading 20 to 30 successful screenplay
and reading a few books on screenwriting.

You are reading screenplays, right?

Yes, so far I've downloaded 5 screenplays each from a different genre. But as someone else mentioned, these are probably not "spec" screenplays. The suggestion that I might be overwriting is a little puzzling to me as I am probably guilty of the opposite. My writing is normally very lean -- eliminates a lot of the fluff. I also ordered the book (Screenwriting for Neurotics) that was recommended. One thing I have going for me is I tend to be a visually-oriented person which helped my college-student film projects awards. I should have stayed with film as a career.

Don't let it PUZZLE you. LOL.

I've looked at a hell of a lot (hundreds) of newbieISH wannabe screenwriters' screenplays over the years and nobody has ever once not overwritten.

I'm more than willing to concede that you don't overwrite... As long as you do not.

I'm willing to bet that you do however... If I were a betting man.

Which I am.

Last edited:
A common rule of thumb is that 1 page = 1 minute on the screen.

This is a helpful guideline for writers and filmmakers to estimate the length of their script and, consequently, the expected duration of the finished film or television episode. However, it's essential to note that this is a general guideline, and actual screen time can vary based on factors such as pacing, dialogue speed, and specific directorial choices.

Back