weekly challenges..

So would anyone be interested in weekly challanges to make 30sec-1 minute films.

The topic is started by the thread owner, who then picks the winner, the winner then starts the next topic.

the topics must cover visual, audio and genre, topics must not be similar to previous ones where possible.

example week 1

visual - must include a piece of orange and a cup

audio - must include directional sound e.g. a sound playing from left speaker to right

genre - horror

so anyone up for it? i think it would need a minimum of 5 participants

Wheatgrinder and knightly (and others?) created a few of these a while ago, they were a good time and lead to a variety of fun flicks and clips.

If I may suggest... since the 26,000+ members of IndieTalk are all at wildly different levels in the filmmaking spectrum, maybe refrain from naming or voting for "winners" and make it more about improving individual skills. Take away the award, make it a less of a peer-to-peer competition and more of a personal/self challenge (Challenge Yourself!) and you might have something. Just a thought.

Not suggesting members can't (or shouldn't or wouldn't) be allowed to comment on the final clips, assuming they are posted in the thread, only that for the purposes of the challenge, comparing clips and voting on the "The Best" isn't the quite the same, or as meaningful/useful, as a "Personal Best".

Example: "Well, I'm really not that great at practical FX (or prop building or color correction or camera/actor blocking or whatever the challenge is) but I want to give it a shot and see if I can step out of my comfort zone to learn more about (make-up, editing, lighting, AfterEffects, foley...)"

TwoCents.gif

I like it, I need a challenge. I'm at the (very) low end of the "film maker" spectrum, so don't expect much from me. But i would like to give it a shot.

A cup
Horror
Orange slice
Sound from left to right

Is that the project? Come on peeps, lets play this game.

Wheatgrinder and knightly (and others?) created a few of these a while ago, they were a good time and lead to a variety of fun flicks and clips.

If I may suggest... since the 26,000+ members of IndieTalk are all at wildly different levels in the filmmaking spectrum, maybe refrain from naming or voting for "winners" and make it more about improving individual skills. Take away the award, make it a less of a peer-to-peer competition and more of a personal/self challenge (Challenge Yourself!) and you might have something. Just a thought.

Not suggesting members can't (or shouldn't or wouldn't) be allowed to comment on the final clips, assuming they are posted in the thread, only that for the purposes of the challenge, comparing clips and voting on the "The Best" isn't the quite the same, or as meaningful/useful, as a "Personal Best".

Example: "Well, I'm really not that great at practical FX (or prop building or color correction or camera/actor blocking or whatever the challenge is) but I want to give it a shot and see if I can step out of my comfort zone to learn more about (make-up, editing, lighting, AfterEffects, foley...)"

TwoCents.gif

i like your idea, but then competition i feel adds flare to it, makes you wanna do it, whereas lets see what everyone can do without there being a prize (the worthy title of winner) i feel as if theres less dedication to compete.

but any who, i shall start my own video on this and hopefully icba too, hopefully you can as well :)

happy competing!

Cool idea! Another thing could be decide on characters - orange,potato,tomato. And every week do different genresstories etc. Then you can flood youtube with those :)

I'm almost done shooting all the footage I need. I'm not much of a horror fan, hope it turns out ok. Anyone else giving it a try? Friday deadline for a weekend show??

Shooting mine today! It's going to be poem based... Hopefully others will start taking a crack at this once we get the motion flowing

Did a quicky edit in WMML, wow that editer sucks. Looking for music and sfx to finish the job. Ordered Adobe Premiere Elements the other day, wish it was here already, I like how this challenge is coming out so far.

hey its looking good, mine will be ready for tomorrows deadline, all footage is shot, its kinda turned out as a really crappy comedy horror.. with minimal horror lol

but still i guess its a learning curve glad to see you stuck with it

The directional sound is tough... have most of the background audio source materials but really struggling with sound design... Great challenge 8salacious9!
Can't wait to see the results.

here is my crappy short (not representative of my professional quality)
FCPX produces glitches on the clip cant be bothered to re-produce it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkK6CAjP8KM

Last edited:
loving this idea salaciious saw the post too late so its too late for me to get something made, but really looking forward to the next one! maybe do a couple/4 - 5 minute short competitions a year as well? or something that takes a bit more thought and work? similar to the amateur photographer forum, and some other forums

Some family obligations came up, so running late in the audio dept. Loved the work 8salacious9!
I might short change the audio just to get it done. I'll post it as soon as I can finish it up.

Well I'm sure as we do more challenges we can be more adventurous but the idea I had was to find out how creative we are and also throw in technical abilities that we may need to do proffesionaly including hitting deadlines for production.

I'm thinking if we get more peeps doing these, then maybe create tier levels for the challenge so level 2 will have more challenges and level 1 will be basic and people can choose .. That way if you want a 5 minute challenge you can add it in level 2 whereas level 1 will be 30secs-1min long so we don't deter people.

Icba can do the next challenge once his vid Is posted

Prescription

Prescription : IndieTalk Challenge Project 2-1-13
So I think I should have followed the rules a little more closely. At almost 3 minutes, but it sure was a fun learning experience. Still can't get .mov files to show in Avid PT but will continue to work on that. It came out lighter than expected after 2 earlier renderings. Audio was no where near what I had in mind, but rushed it a little due to my "real" life. Some of the cuts look like crap, and I think I crossed the line... maybe.. more than once.
Enjoy everyone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67xT2DN03Yo

Last edited:
I am excited to get involved with this. I have been wanting to get back practicing making films.

Hopefully I can get something made in time.

Last edited:
Back