• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Wedding Highlights - Critic !

Hey everyone,

I worked on my first wedding. I'm nearly done with the highlights and would like you to critic the edit (bad shots, bad editing, anything) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR74T6OpNmc

Thanks !

Last edited:
For the wedding movies experts in here, how long do you think the full version should be ?

I'm afraid I don't have enough material to make it longer than 40 minutes. Most of it will be live music played by bands or friends and speeches. The rest is random footage of the food and the dancing.

ok just my opinion, the beginning bit is a bit pointless juddery and long, it could have started from where you start to go up from the dress.

the music is completely wrong for me, this is meant to be a happy vid, but this songs tempo makes it sound like theres something to be sad about it, regardless of the lyrics.

at around 1:58 when they are dancing together, the guests and background seems to be warping and flickering? most wont notice it but to me was annoying ( i suffer from white lights so flickering is noticeable to me )

actually i just noticed alot of your footage has that flickering, is that a lighting issue thats caused this?

the camerawork was nice the colour is good, for my preference i would have liked maybe some dreamy vignetting but thats just my taste.

I would just look into that flickering its really kinda annoying lol

The flickering is there, sometimes more than others. I have no idea where it comes from, probably the lighting in the hall. I'm hoping it's not too much noticeable for profane eyes because there anything I can do in post to deal with it. But the warping is weird, I'll look into it.

The music was played at the wedding for the first dance. I didn't choose it, the bride did. And it's a love song, I find it quite fitting for a love event.

The flickering is there, sometimes more than others. I have no idea where it comes from, probably the lighting in the hall. I'm hoping it's not too much noticeable for profane eyes because there anything I can do in post to deal with it. But the warping is weird, I'll look into it.

The music was played at the wedding for the first dance. I didn't choose it, the bride did. And it's a love song, I find it quite fitting for a love event.

ah ok, yeah there wasnt much else for me to comment on really, i guess the song is her choice and its the client who is to be satisfied, was that the only song though? or was there others that maybe you could try or did try?

I tried more rythmic songs like Wedding Cocek (was played too). It's a cool song but it just doesn't work with this edit which is rich of dancing footage (and they were dancing to Embraceable You).

I don't remember the other songs that were played.

Didn't you feel like the DJ shot at 2:39 was off-beat and unnecessary ? And the shot at 3:45 ends in a weird way ; I lost stability when I knelt (just noticed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG87OSjNLRQ

Actually, I remember this one too :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAY2QLUJujQ

Last edited:
I enjoyed it quite alot. Just some continuity issues from a storytelling view though, vows being shown towards the end, repeats of wine pouring (didn't like seeing the plaid shirt guy the second pour), both getting off the chairs, then later he helps her get up on the chairs. Your shadow shows in the intro (after 10 sec.s) and that could be shortened a little, also the opening dance shot would be nice slowed down and shortened, it made me dizzy at full speed. Then there's the jacket on, jacket off shots. Seems like the jacket came off as the reception commenced, but later on there's shots with it on.
Please remember I'm not tearing you apart. These are just teeny tiny thoughts about the story telling of the video. I really like it and even the way it is, your customer should be overwhelmed with the quality and content. Good job. I know I couldn't do this well.

A thousand thanks ! That's the kindda of criticism I came looking for !

I didn't notice these flaws and for a simple reason. I went trough every footage, selecting short sections that I found usable and put them on my timeline. When I was done with all the clips (which took two small days), I near randomly spread them around to avoid jump-cuts and to group some stuff and separate others while also paying special attention to the ending.

For the entrance, I finally made it shorter. I'll work on the story-telling/continuity as well. Did you notice the flickering and was it bothersome ? I'm most concerned about that since I can't not see it and I don't want the client to be bothered by it, especially since there is nothing I can do to solve that problem.

yes, at 1:55 start the vid and you'll see the white walls strobing. What hertz does your electricity operate on over there? I've heard your frame rate can cause this if set incorectly, from an article on the web.

Don't knwo, it's probably the electricity. But I remember trying different shutter speed on location and it just made it worse. The least flickering is the one you're seeing now.

Anyway, I guess the client didn't care :

"Your video is PERFECT!!! We completely LOVE it! Looking forward to the full version. You really know what you're doing.'

Don't knwo, it's probably the electricity. But I remember trying different shutter speed on location and it just made it worse. The least flickering is the one you're seeing now.

Anyway, I guess the client didn't care :

"Your video is PERFECT!!! We completely LOVE it! Looking forward to the full version. You really know what you're doing.'

Congrats! Well done. It really was enjoyable to watch... Always feels great to get clients positive feedback.

Back