Website video issues

OK, I forgot that I had changed the wmv format name to asf. its still a wmv file, I just changed it to asf so it would stream in realtime. The wmv took a while to load up. That maybe why its not running in firefox. Im gonna have to rerender it in mov format. Maybe that will stream as well.

any input?

I'm still working on this. Ironically, it seems that if your Quicktime player displays a question mark it can still play the movie if it is downloaded directly (such as downloading to disk, or selecting the File > Open Url command).

My website uses Quicktime alternatives (which selects the apropriate video depending on user's OS). So I don't know if the problem is caused by some users' internet connections (firewalls, etc.).

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.
This makes no sense...

King Goldfish said:
Will one of you go to www.paskday.com and see if the movie streams for you? its on the front page. So use your firefox and see if it asks you for a plugin.

Firefox brings up the my Quicktime player plug-in fine but can't load the file due to the path being wrong. You mentioned you changed the name from WMV to ASX even though it's an WMV file. I'd advice not doing that. Leave the extension alone so programs know how to reference the file.

Thunderclap said:
Firefox brings up the my Quicktime player plug-in fine but can't load the file due to the path being wrong. You mentioned you changed the name from WMV to ASX even though it's an WMV file. I'd advice not doing that. Leave the extension alone so programs know how to reference the file.

But it works on all of my computers with ie. No, the path isnt wrong. if you look at the source, you will see it says something like rep.asf instead of wmv. firefox I dont think plays asf files. maybe thats the problem.

Asf is just a directory extension. You can use it to refer to another streaming file like avi, mpg or even mov. All I did was direct it to itself.

King Goldfish said:
Asf is just a directory extension. You can use it to refer to another streaming file like avi, mpg or even mov. All I did was direct it to itself.

What if you rename the file with the original extension of WMV? It might be worth the change just to test the theory.

Back