waterproof filming decision (input needed)

(edited)
PROBLEM SOLVED !! :D:D:D
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/492310-REG/Ewa_Marine_VXA_VXA_Underwater_Housing.html

----
I could use some feedback on a decision I need to make. Two shorts I will make this summer involve scenes with water-- one filming people fly fishing in a stream (about 15-20 feet wide), another filming an actress rising up out of Lake Superior to interact with someone on the beach. No underwater footage, I just want to be able to film POVs from the water surface.

So.... first decision is whether to lay out more cash into this fricken money pit called filmmaking and buy equipment so as to be able to get in the water and film from a POV over the water. Is it worth the $$$ for the extra POV opportunity? I think it is.

Then the second decision is whether to spend $400 for a waterproof housing from epiccam.com for my Canon XH-A1, or spend $1000 for combination consumer HD camcorder ($600) with a ($400) waterproof ZipLock type bag?

The epiccam housing would let me film using my existing Canon XH-A1 to keep the footage all from one camera, whether over water or from dry land.; but the problem with the epiccam housing is that you basically have to point it and eyeball what you are framing, that seems to really suck in my opinion. I want to be able to frame the shots, not just eyeball whether i have actors in the frame, and the microphone out of the frame (external audio recorder).

The consumer camcorder and plastic bag combo would let me frame shots and see what I am recording. The main downside to this method is just that it would be separate footage from a second type of camera, different resolution. If that would not be much of a problem then this would seem the better way to go. If I can safely mix footage from two different cameras, two different resolutions, when editing, then this method would be cool.

Thoughts on which route to go -- epiccam.com housing or consumer camcorder/bag?:D

Last edited:
yeah, from what I see on the photos and the specifications for the EWA Marine VXA bag housing, it gives access to all the camcorder controls, something the epiccam.com housing does not. Pretty cool though that now I will be able to shoot from out on a water surface, or under it, and also shoot my short film that centers on a small river so I can wade out in it and shoot without worrying about my camera.

I like the consumer camcorder/bag idea, personally.
But that's just because it sounds easier to me.

Back