• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Warp portal to hell?

You need a green screen. there are chroma cloths you can get to use for this.

show the person standing in the place where it's gonna happen.
edit in to a closer frame but this time composite their image in from the green screen. Now that they're a composite you can manipulate him digitally to fall through the hole.

I've never done any special effects but I could tell by watching this is what they did in john wick when he gets hit by a car and then flies off screen.

These kinds of green screen tricks are some of the most known Film Riot episodes....

I'd highly recommend you go their channel and watch everything. You'll learn a lot along the way.

As long as you have After Effects, or a similiar compositing program. Here's what you need to do.

Film your background for the scene, without anyone in the frame. Film your background for about 20 seconds or so. Or you can even just take a snapshot and use that instead if nothing else is supposed to move.

Then film your actor either against a green-screen, or against even a white wall. And then you can either use the Keylight effect, or just mask around them, depending on how much you want your actor to move. The Rotobrush also works very well, but that will take you some time.

Then create your portal design for the floor and place this on a new layer above your background, but below your actor.

Once this is ready, take your background layer again, duplicate it, and mask out the bottom section that will cover over your actor once you move your actor downwards through the floor.

Once that's done, you may want to duplicate a portion of your portal effect to cover over a part of your actor as well, and blur this portion so they look like they're going through the center of the portal.

Then you can add your flame elements both behind and in-front of your actor's layer. Best to find either the few pre-keyed flame elements out there online, or purchase the 720p version of Action Essentials for about $200 from Video-Copilot. Their Action Essentials 2 package is very versatile and useful for numerous projects.

If anything I siad didn't make any sense, I could easily make up a quick video tutorial on this exact subject. I'm making multiple After Effects tutorials for a side-hobby these days. So just let me know.

Just so I'm clear, you have After Effects, right? Or something similiar? Because if not, then I can promise that doing anything like this is going to become very hard and crazy difficult to pull off.

If you have that, then I might be able to either find or make something that can explain the process better.

Back