Want to Shoot in a School. How do I get Permission?

lol no I don't want to shoot a gun in a school. I want to some scenes shoot in a school lol, but didn't know the regulations on that involving permits or whatever. It would only be 3-4 scenes, that could be done in one day.

All you need to do is just ask some schools for permission. I'm sure they'd let you some time in the holidays.

Just remember to be nice.

And if your film has some moral aspects that could appeal to a teaching persona, this might be the time to bring them up.

lol no I don't want to shoot a gun in a school. I want to some scenes shoot in a school lol, but didn't know the regulations on that involving permits or whatever. It would only be 3-4 scenes, that could be done in one day.

Should be easy as long as you aren't using "weapons" or making a mess of the school. Just provide them with a synopsis of the film and have a location release handy to show them you're professional. Good luck.

Should be easy as long as you aren't using "weapons" or making a mess of the school. Just provide them with a synopsis of the film and have a location release handy to show them you're professional. Good luck.

Nope no weapons, but I'm worried the synopsis of the film might be deemed too morally abrasive to shoot in a school. Really it's just talking except for one part where the main character gets beat up in the bathroom...:blush:

It's about a Highschool loner's rise and fall as a prescription drug dealer in suburban America. The underlying moral message I guess would be to expose the lack of parenting that leads to this type of behavior. I want it to be a really eye-opening movie if you will.

The whole movie is not at the school though, just scenes here and there to mix up the scenery.

Last edited:
Ask at the front desk (or telephone) who the best person to talk to is.

Explain to them that you need their help, what you're doing, why you're doing it, what it will mean for those involved.

If they say no, ask if they have any suggestions of other schools that may agree to you shooting in their school.

Good luck.

The larger the school system the more beauracracy you will have to deal with. If possible go to a rural area and talk to someone at the school board. Chances are you will end up there anyway due to the school principal not being able to make a command decsion. You might also find a school that is no longer being used by students and just use it for the few shots you need. Prob be easier to get permission for that. If you are going to do hallway or bathroom shots you won't need desks or other props.

Also you can probably check out a local college as they usually have some smaller rooms that look like High School classrooms that usually aren't being used. Also as a potential fyi when you are talking with the school staff on the phone you are FILMING and not SHOOTING. Just might help stop any unneccessary misunderstandings heh.

It took me a few seconds to figure out the problem with the words.

Then it hit me.

God Bless the United States of America.

/irony

Last year the school where I was educated was used to make a short film.
Hall ways, class rooms and the sports hall all looked as though they had been destroyed and there were men with guns running around the school.

as always if you ask the worst that can happen is they say no..... and then there are still at least half a dozen more schools you could get to.

Last year the school where I was educated was used to make a short film.
Hall ways, class rooms and the sports hall all looked as though they had been destroyed and there were men with guns running around the school.

as always if you ask the worst that can happen is they say no..... and then there are still at least half a dozen more schools you could get to.

lmaoo

Back