Wait a sec, I'm confused...

Okay I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I need to get this straight. Can you capture tape video via USB? Is it just FireWire is more widely used because there is no quality loss when you use it?

Its just I went into Vegas and went to the video capture with a simple USB webcam plugged in. Obviously it doesnt have a tape deck, so the Tape Capture option was unavailable, but the live capture was, which is why I am asking.

Plus, if you watch the promo video for the Optura 500 on Canon's website, it says that you can edit video via USB with it, so why couldn't you with another one?

So am I slow, or am I wrong?
Thank you for putting up with me! ;)

USB editing...

bensmerglia said:
Okay I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I need to get this straight. Can you capture tape video via USB? Is it just FireWire is more widely used because there is no quality loss when you use it?

Its just I went into Vegas and went to the video capture with a simple USB webcam plugged in. Obviously it doesnt have a tape deck, so the Tape Capture option was unavailable, but the live capture was, which is why I am asking.

Plus, if you watch the promo video for the Optura 500 on Canon's website, it says that you can edit video via USB with it, so why couldn't you with another one?

So am I slow, or am I wrong?
Thank you for putting up with me! ;)

You can capture via USB but ONLY if your particular capturing/editing program supports that feature... I remember when I purchased my one chip JVC "Indie" camcorder a few years ago... It came with both a firewire and USB cable to capture from tape... It also came with some cheapie program that allowed capturing via USB but since I always capture via firewire, I never used it...

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
USB 1.1 transfer rate is 12Mbps, USB 2.0 is 480mbps, firewire (IEEE 1394) is 400mbps.

The transfer rate has a lot to do with quality. If you have all three options. use the fastest. If not - use what ya got!

FireWire is actually faster than USB 2.0 in most cases, through. Don't ask me why... Partly because USB 2.0 is far newer and most machines still have USB 1.1 ports, I guess.

Demosthenes X said:
FireWire is actually faster than USB 2.0 in most cases, through. Don't ask me why... Partly because USB 2.0 is far newer and most machines still have USB 1.1 ports, I guess.
True. If you plug a USB 2.0 device (camera, scanner, external hard drive) into a computer with a USB 1.1 connection, you won't get use of the 2.0.

Back