Voiceover Mic

Hiay again guys. I was wondering what a decent studio voiceover mic would be, and at good price. I'm thinking about the Rode NT2-A, I'd rather not go more expensive than that, but I believe some of you know this stuff better than me and may have better mic recommendation?

Thanks lads.

The NT2a is a solid low/mid-priced general purpose large diaphragm mic.

What are you plugging it into?
The computer. Were the options are tele, usb. And I do have a xlr to usb converter so thats also an option. Perhaps I have other types of inputs, not sure, but I believe these are the general inputs and outputs when it gets to audio.

if youre going to be recording with a computer i would highly recommend the blue audio snowball mic.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Micropho...PQ7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302111420&sr=8-1

it has a three position switch on it for different modes of operation and they suggest 1 for a single speaker, 2 for instrument recording, and 3 for multiple speakers around the mic.

good pop filter:
http://www.amazon.com/Nady-MPF-6-6-Inch-Microphone-Filter/dp/B0002CZW0Y/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_img_b

the one thing to be aware of is that while working with and recording via usb is really easy, monitoring can be more of a problem. There can be a significant delay if you dont look into tweaking your settings. I use acoustica mixcraft to record podcasts with four snowballs and there is a setting to have it take priority of your audio hardware to reduce the delay to 2-3ms depending on your hardware. default delay can be over 20ms and really disorienting.

The computer. Were the options are tele, usb. And I do have a xlr to usb converter so thats also an option. Perhaps I have other types of inputs, not sure, but I believe these are the general inputs and outputs when it gets to audio.

A USB converter would be passable. What I actually meant when I asked "What are you plugging it in to" was do you have a sound card or other audio interface, or perhaps a mic pre-amp.

Notsonic - the NT2-A is far superior to the Snowball, though the Snowball is a nice mic for the price.

A USB converter would be passable. What I actually meant when I asked "What are you plugging it in to" was do you have a sound card or other audio interface, or perhaps a mic pre-amp.

Notsonic - the NT2-A is far superior to the Snowball, though the Snowball is a nice mic for the price.

yeah, i should hope so at $400 vs about $80, haha.

any specifics on what makes it a better mic though? not trying to be a dick, definitely curious.

Take the Rode NT2-A and put a plastic cup over the top of it and you'll have a similar sound to a Blue Snowball.

Or, take a plastic cup and talk into it. Hear how it sounds? Now put a diaphragm in there and that's basically what a Blue Snowball is... a plastic ball with a diaphragm. Doesn't really work sound-wise...

Take the Rode NT2-A and put a plastic cup over the top of it and you'll have a similar sound to a Blue Snowball.

Or, take a plastic cup and talk into it. Hear how it sounds? Now put a diaphragm in there and that's basically what a Blue Snowball is... a plastic ball with a diaphragm. Doesn't really work sound-wise...

cool, thanks for the in-depth and knowledgeable response.

Last edited:
I have a Blue Snowball and Freakin' HATE it. It was a huge waste of money.

i've been really happy with mine, but as i said i use it for podcasting which isnt exactly high quality audio (in terms of bit rates and compression.) i only brought it up as a suggestion for a usb mic, not really noticing that the op was already looking in the ~$300 range.

i've been really happy with mine, but as i said i use it for podcasting which isnt exactly high quality audio (in terms of bit rates and compression.) i only brought it up as a suggestion for a usb mic, not really noticing that the op was already looking in the ~$300 range.

Maybe I have a bad unit because I wouldn't even use it for a podcast. No matter the computer or the mic input settings - it's, well, I've said enough.

;)

For $80, meh, it's pretty good. Much better than the onboard mic in a laptop or something.

But, for professional use, I think the NT2-A is just the way to go for low-budget mics.

Also, I hear the Studio Projects C-1 is a wonderful mic and it's about $200.

Back