• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

format Voice overs!?

Hello,
I've been attempting to work this one out myself, prior to reaching out to the good, learned, people of this forum, but I'm not convinced by my efforts.

I have a sequence in the screenplay, I am currently working on, that could be considered a montage of events. Each of these 'events' are stages in a process, there is no accompanying dialogue, so the descriptions in the script are quite detailed, causing a sizable chunk of text on the page.
I had envisioned this to be accompanied by a voice over that does not explain directly what is happening in the 'montage' but gives a broader outline to the story, a bit like the achetypical monologue of the evil genius explaining how he intends to take over the world!

I would be hugely grateful if someone could offer an opinion on how to format this. Should I intersperse the V.O. between the descriptive text or, prior to the descriptive text of the montage, add a further description that this has a V.O.... or should the V.O. dialogue go after the montage??

Thank you all, I look forward to your thoughts (I'm tantalisingly close to finishing a 1st draft!!)

Thank you mlesemann,
Does that hold true if the V.O. is not actually describing what is going on in the montage?
As in my case, the V.O. is a general diatribe of intent from a character. The content of the montage is not described at all.

Hello,
I've been attempting to work this one out myself, prior to reaching out to the good, learned, people of this forum, but I'm not convinced by my efforts.

I have a sequence in the screenplay, I am currently working on, that could be considered a montage of events. Each of these 'events' are stages in a process, there is no accompanying dialogue, so the descriptions in the script are quite detailed, causing a sizable chunk of text on the page.
I had envisioned this to be accompanied by a voice over that does not explain directly what is happening in the 'montage' but gives a broader outline to the story, a bit like the achetypical monologue of the evil genius explaining how he intends to take over the world!

I would be hugely grateful if someone could offer an opinion on how to format this. Should I intersperse the V.O. between the descriptive text or, prior to the descriptive text of the montage, add a further description that this has a V.O.... or should the V.O. dialogue go after the montage??

Thank you all, I look forward to your thoughts (I'm tantalisingly close to finishing a 1st draft!!)

LOVE the idea of this! I would intersperse the voice over with the description. Write the scene descriptions as it happens on screen, and then underneath it put the voice over that is meant to accompany those particular scenes. I found this article that shows how to format the VO under the description depending on which character you have narrative the VO:

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me anytime on IG, I'm @godlywoodgirl :)

Many blessings,
Stephanie

Back