Visual & Audio Setup for On-Location in a Pub

Greetings to all, hope you are well.

I am in pre production for my final year project at university, we will be creating a fly-on-the-wall style documentary focused around one Pub and how they are an anchor to its surrounding community.

We've nearly nailed our location, and I really need some advice on what the best method would be to make this doable.

Initially I am looking to use 3-4 Go Pro's (1 provided, hire another 3) as they are cheap and discrete and can be easily plopped in various spots around the pub.
I'm not too concerned about this, just hit record and go, but it would be interesting if we can view the live stream of what it is recording, I've seen this happen with certain go pro's over a wifi connection and it would be very useful for us to be able to watch all streams simultaneously say from one laptop.

Secondly, and probably the most important/intricate part will be sound/audio. We need to accomplish a few things, we need to be able to gather audio from the areas in which the cameras are pointing of course (if the entire pub on camera cannot be achieved, granted it is a small pub so probably will be able to), so any conversations that are going on we can pick up easily and inconspicuously of all those participating.
We will also be targeting a select few 'characters' to concentrate on, we will most likely be focusing on the Landlord & Landlady, as well as one gent we have already spoken to and is happy to take part (a regular). My initial thoughts are that we would put wireless lapel mic's on these individuals because it is important to get clear sound with everything they do.

We've never had such a big task before without supervision, and so I am opening up to the members of indietalk for advice.

How can we manage all these various sounds going on separately, are we going to need various sound recorders or is there a way we can manage it all into one storage? I am a bit befuddled I'll admit, would love some advice. Anything I have left out or you would need to know just let me know. :P

Please do not worry about the privacy inclinations here, just how this can be accomplished discretely so it does not affect what is going on in sight.

You'll need to use "plant" mics - you hide mics near where your cameras are pointed. The optimum choice would be lavaliers, the smaller the better. They can be hardwired or wireless. You would use a multitrack audio recorder or multiple stereo recorders. You can also have a hidden lav on a person (obviously).

For example, if you have a booth that is the subject of one of the cameras you could hide the lav in the light fixture hanging over the table, or put it in something on or near the table.

Your biggest issue is going to be the music that is usually present in most bars; it is usually rather loud and picking up "clean" dialog is going to be extremely challenging.

You'll need to use "plant" mics - you hide mics near where your cameras are pointed. The optimum choice would be lavaliers, the smaller the better. They can be hardwired or wireless. You would use a multitrack audio recorder or multiple stereo recorders. You can also have a hidden lav on a person (obviously).

For example, if you have a booth that is the subject of one of the cameras you could hide the lav in the light fixture hanging over the table, or put it in something on or near the table.

Your biggest issue is going to be the music that is usually present in most bars; it is usually rather loud and picking up "clean" dialog is going to be extremely challenging.

Thanks. We will tackle the clean dialog issue when it comes to it, often just takes some clever thinking.

My university I'm pretty sure has wireless lav mic's which might be good to use hidden in clever spots, I'm just wondering how to tackle recording all of these :/

I'm thinking our best option will be separate sound recorders for simplicity. Wireless lav style mic's transmitting to the sound recorder.

I personally have a Zoom H4N so that's one recording of sound sorted assuming I can hook up a wireless receiver to it.
Might it be an option to literally use iPhones (a group of 5 of us, 3 of us at least have iPhones) to record sound and get ourselves wireless mic's and receivers into the iPhones? I heard these can be found cheap..

I'm thinking our best option will be separate sound recorders for simplicity. Wireless lav style mic's transmitting to the sound recorder.

I personally have a Zoom H4N so that's one recording of sound sorted assuming I can hook up a wireless receiver to it.
Might it be an option to literally use iPhones (a group of 5 of us, 3 of us at least have iPhones) to record sound and get ourselves wireless mic's and receivers into the iPhones? I heard these can be found cheap..

Cheap, perhaps. But reliable?

The Tascam DR680 is going to be your best bet on a low budget. Spreading recorders out (or worse, iPhones) all over the place will make monitoring difficult and will create a file management hell in post. A single, multi-track recorder will allow you to keep everything organized and in a way that can easily be monitored during production.

You are in for quite a challenge audio wise. The go-pros have a wide field of view and covering all that area is gonna mean a lot of mics. Or is your doc solely about the staff and their interactions ?(I can't really see punters being happy about having mics listen in) then you can just mic the staff.
Music is a total nightmare, editing is always difficult and there will be copyright issues (which as a student production you can call fair use, but you cannot take this further). Wetherspoon pubs have a no music policy but being corporate will be very hard to get into.

How can we manage all these various sounds going on separately, are we going to need various sound recorders or is there a way we can manage it all into one storage? I am a bit befuddled I'll admit, would love some advice. Anything I have left out or you would need to know just let me know. :P

Please do not worry about the privacy inclinations here, just how this can be accomplished discretely so it does not affect what is going on in sight.

I tried a little docu-style stuff as an experiment and I can tell you what my experience is.

The 'wrong' stuff was that everything was in the wrong place so we missed way too much. Stuff seemed to happen in specific areas and next time around, we would've simply changed the locations we were in.

Having visible cameras was not an issue as the primary individuals were pre-warned and the group tended to follow the behavior of the leaders. Because of legality issues around their activity, I was in a camera-hostile environment but nobody changed their behavior because of the cameras, rather they just went about their business. No illegality was directly caught on camera. As an aside, I wasn't filming long enough to see them get used to the camera but this will happen in the future.

Where I went wrong was poor positioning and forgetting to clean my sensor (big piece of dirt on it, d@mnit...). The poor positioning was around my lack of understanding of what was going on.

When I go back, I want to:

- Position myself where the good stuff will be happening.
- Clean my sensor
- Pre-warn everyone
- Bring a couple of cameras down with mics etc... and go to town. Cine lenses, stabilisers, camera people, sound recordists, everything.

The critical part for me was the pre-warning the ringleaders who gave me permission. Not everyone welcomed my shooting but they seemed to be generally fine about it and this was in an extremely difficult situation.

I know someone who is shooting a professional documentary. She is an AP and they essentially follow the same methodology. Specifically, they have permission from the authorities so acceptance follows naturally.

The gopro wifi control will let you start/stop up to 50 gopros at the same time. I believe you can monitor them via wifi with the gopro app on a phone or tablet as well. Otherwise I'm fairly certain you can get a live feed via USB while recording too.

I've got two GoPro Hero's, haven't used them in a couple years. If you're interested in owning instead of renting, I'd part with mine for a reasonable price.

Back