Vintage lenses for 5D Mark II

I just got a 5D Mark II on Friday. So far I just have a Canon 50mm 1.4f prime lens for it. I know I'm going to need more, but they add up fast at $500 or more each. So I was reading that you can save a lot by using old lenses from 35mm film cameras.

Is there somewhere I can find a run down of good lenses to look for? I'm new to photography/film so I don't really have any point of reference for the visual characteristics of Nikon/Canon/Leica/etc. I know I'd need an adapter as well, but from what I've heard, they're not expensive.

Suggestions?

With adapters you can use any old Nikon/Nikkor F mount lenses, as well as any M42 screw mount lenses, many of which are available on ebay for very little.

IMO M42 is the way to go. The adapters are literally $7. So cheap you can buy one for each lens and just leave it on there. There are some gems to be found among them for sure. Vintage Nikons are also excellent glass.

Cool, I'll be on the lookout for old Nikon's and anything with an M42 mount. But what about the f/stop? I bought the 50mm 1.4f Canon because I was told you want a fast lens for video, but when I look at different focal length lenses it can be hard to find something that's under f/2.

Fast lenses have their moments, but realistically 2.8 is "fast enough" for most uses. I have a Takumar 50mm 1.4 and indeed there are times when it can save your butt being able to go that wide open (situations where you have no control over lighting), BUT realistically you should be doing most of your shooting between f4 and f8.

Cool, I'll be on the lookout for old Nikon's and anything with an M42 mount. But what about the f/stop? I bought the 50mm 1.4f Canon because I was told you want a fast lens for video, but when I look at different focal length lenses it can be hard to find something that's under f/2.

I'd spend a little time with a DOF calculator, so you'll know what to expect from the different focal length and aperture combinations. If you've got a smartphone there are DOF apps available.

Sometimes you'll want shallow DOF, sometimes you'll want deeper DOF, and different focal lengths effect that just as much as aperture settings. It's easier to get shallow DOF with longer lenses, and easier to get deeper DOF with wider lenses... and so on.

Back