• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch View Sydney filmmaker's TWO YouTube Film Fest semi-finalist shorts

Hi

Recently I directed two short films (BAT EYES, BOOT) for the Voices Project – an initiative by Australian Theatre for Young People (atyp). The films are based on dramatic monologues written by emerging playwrights Jessica Bellamy and Joanna Erskine. Both BAT EYES and BOOT have been selected (from 15,000 submissions) as two of 50 semi-finalists for the inaugural YouTube film festival: Your Film Festival. Until July 13 anybody with an internet connection can view the films and vote to determine 10 finalists to attend and show their work during the 2012 Venice Film Festival. A grand prize winner will then be named by a special jury (helmed by Michael Fassbender) and awarded a $500,000 grant to create a new work, produced by Ridley Scott's production company Scott Free.

BAT EYES tells the story of 24 year old Adam who is having his eyes tested at the optometrist for the first time. As the eye-chart blurs in front of him, he is struck by the memory of a high school English class when he cruelly mocked a short-sighted classmate, Jenny “Bat Eyes” Barrett. BAT EYES explores the awkward confusion of first love/sex; how language – particularly poetry – can add meaning to everyday non-poetic life; and the power of a moment to stay with you for the rest of your life.

In BOOT Dana and Julia’s friendship is destroyed when a night out ends in tragedy, recriminations and terrible guilt. Mixing drama with a spatter of gross-out comedy, BOOT shows how a good time can inexorably slide into tragedy; how sacrifice can seem like a betrayal; and how guilt is the heaviest burden to bear.

You can view (and vote) for BAT EYES here: http://www.bateyesandboot.com/votebateyes

And BOOT here: http://www.bateyesandboot.com/voteboot

A lot of love went into the films and I’m very excited about this latest development. I hope you’ll check them out and with your help maybe we can take them all the way to Venice!

thanks,

Damien

(If you want to find out more about me I posted a brief bio in Welcome)

Thanks to everyone who viewed and voted in YouTube's Your Film Festival. Very pleased to let you know that my short film, BAT EYES, was voted a finalist and will be screened at the 69th Venice Film Festival, where I’m in the running for a 500k production grant from Ridley Scott’s production company Scott Free. Fingers crossed!

Damien

Back