Video Shielding

Hello. I'm glad to be back. The question is concerning something that I've never come across, heard anyone ask or ever be concerned with. I'd like to know if its possible to video shield a camera from magnetic fields. I will be shooting my first feature coming up shortly but a major concern of mine is how to address the magnetic fields which will be given off by 1/32 scale slot car race set. Would it be better to shoot back from a distance (I will be shooting in low light for many scenes.) I see that many of the audio accessories such as speakers and my T.V. and my laptop are video shielded and that my camera explicitly reads "Keep away from electrical and magnetic fields." However, I am not a man to be stopped in my tracks as I believe there is an engineering solution for every problem. So what say, ye? Thank you. :huh:

What kind of magnets are we talking about? Depending on how powerful they are I wouldn't spend too much time fretting over it.

Second, how close do you actually need the camera to be? If you don't have to be rubbing it up against the magnets then it's probably going to be fine.

If you really can't live without knowing, just invest in one of these. You'll be able to tell exactly how far the field extends and how far you should hold your camera away from it.

http://www.teachersource.com/product/magnetic-field-viewer-card/electricity-magnetism

Last edited:
What kind of magnets are we talking about? Depending on how powerful they are I wouldn't spend too much time fretting over it.

Second, how close do you actually need the camera to be? If you don't have to be rubbing it up against the magnets then it's probably going to be fine.

If you really can't live without knowing, just invest in one of these. You'll be able to tell exactly how far the field extends and how far you should hold your camera away from it.

http://www.teachersource.com/product/magnetic-field-viewer-card/electricity-magnetism

The magnetic pick ups on the cars themselves are not very powerful. Only enough for the pick ups on the cars to grip the track while still being able to go forward with minimal resistance. So the magnets themselves are pretty weak and I don't think they would give off a field more than a few inches beyond the car. What I'm more concerned about is the motors that spin around 30000 RPM and more so the current flowing through the track itself which is powered by a wall outlet and continuous. I imagine the field given off by this is probably a few feet. I'd thought about checking it out with just a row of dangling paperclips once I have the track assembled and my set is up and running, but this link to teachsource you provided seems like a pretty nifty little tool and much more accurate to test the magnetic field. I'll have to work with my camera after choosing my lenses and deciding on shot distances before I know exactly how it will all work out. I'm still in the planning stages. But moving towards the start date of my shoot every day so I've got to work out all these details. And if I don't know the answer I ask the question. Thank you for your reply.

Back