Video quality problem (Sony NEX-VG900)

Hi ..

I have 2 cameras (sony nex vg900) with several lenses..

But i think this is not a normal quality for a 3000$ camcorder!

I tried many lenses, and many settings, but nothing changed!

Look at the buildings in the pictures!

image.jpg

123.jpg

what is the problem?

Could I inquire why you chose to buy this camera in the first place?

Did you do enough research to feel comfortable with all of its features? Did you know and could you see examples of what the video quality should have looked like? Because any time I've bought cameras or lenses, I search high and low, wherever I can, for any test footage recorded by multiple people in order to get the best consensus on what the actual results would be, and I've always been pleased with how faithful my own experiences were to what I was able to research.

Last edited:
It really looks like a problem with the lens.
It could be dirty (after a day at the beach I always need to clean my UV-fliters, because it gets blurry by the sand, dust, moist and salt) and I notice you are near water (it is the Mediterranean or the Dead Sea?)
Or the lens is not correctly aligned, so the focuspoint is in front or behind the sensor, which make it impossible to focus.

No. It won't change the actual data or quality. I assume the low quality footage is because of the avchd codec in his computer.Because Sony VG900 is said to give good performance than this. Utility like ClipWrap and SmartFFmpeg are used to re-wrap damaged AVCHD file structures into MOV files that can be imported into NLEs and edited easily.

And the re-wrapping is used to provide an editing friendly version of the footage which requires less struggles to edit with ,than the original.By rewrapping a mts file to mov, your file becomes much larger, remains very much lossless in quality and processes much more efficiently in your editing project.Thus you get a clear video output.

Damaged files don't get soft: they just don't open or show serious distortions where data is missing or corrupted.
Rewrapping only makes files recognizable (or not) for software, the avchd stays the same.
When a file gets much larger it is not rewrapping, but transcoding: you actually change the codec to be able to edit it. This was essential for FCP6 en 7. Avid still transcodes all the files I think (but I'm not sure: haven't touched avid for a decade.)

It really looks like a problem with the lens.
It could be dirty (after a day at the beach I always need to clean my UV-fliters, because it gets blurry by the sand, dust, moist and salt) and I notice you are near water (it is the Mediterranean or the Dead Sea?)
Or the lens is not correctly aligned, so the focuspoint is in front or behind the sensor, which make it impossible to focus.
Its Mediterranean :)
I own 2 Sony NEX VG900 cameras, and in the comparison video i already shoot the same scene in different cameras and lenses (Sony 10-18mm F4 & Sony 18-200mm Power Zoom Lens) and i've got the same results! so inevitably the problem is not related to an issue in the camera or the lens!

Damaged files don't get soft: they just don't open or show serious distortions where data is missing or corrupted.
Rewrapping only makes files recognizable (or not) for software, the avchd stays the same.
When a file gets much larger it is not rewrapping, but transcoding: you actually change the codec to be able to edit it. This was essential for FCP6 en 7. Avid still transcodes all the files I think (but I'm not sure: haven't touched avid for a decade.)
If the issue related to the AVCHD format, It was supposed to be resolved when i used SmartFFmpeg software!

Appreciate the correction WalterB. :) Its transcoding.
Hardware wise its a focus issue.So,he better show it to any technician,i guess.
I think its impossible to have the same problem in the 2 Sony cameras i have! :huh:

New checklist:
- are both lenses clean?
- what codec settings are you using? If you can set the bitrate the lowest will give the sofest image with the least details

It can be the hardware if both are made with the same problem built in it.
Or check whether you have the latest firmware on your camera. Sometimes Sony fixes focus problems with firmware.

I think it's about time to contact Sony.

Hi sir, thanks for sharing your experience :)
Actually .. I use this camera from two years. so i use it in many several (lenses, settings, lighting, etc..)
so i will answer to your questions based on the normal (usually) use of the camera, which is the footage in the picture is part of it!

1. What settings were you using for the shots? Please include words like 'autofocus,' 'sharpness,' and whether you were using one of Sony's stock profiles.

Settings:
- Auto-focus
- F:7
- 200: Shutter Speed
- Zero: ISO
- Frame Rate: 50p (HD Quality)
- No Picture Effect

2. What hardware were you using? Lighting, cards, lenses etc...

Lens: Sony 10-18mm F/4 OSS

what do you mean by (Lighting, cards)?

3. What stabilisation?
The Standard image stabilization in the camera SteadyShot settings
+ Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization in the lens

4. What is your workflow?
Filming, Ads, Events, Press :) !

I may not understand some of the questions, or answered it incorrectly! so please excuse me :D

There are a ton of ways to get better images out of your Sony. Try these:

1. Autofocus on Sony cameras is a little hit and miss. Manually focus. Results will be much stronger.
2. F7? On what lens? What is optimal for the lens?
3. Try 30 / 60. Shutter speed and fps combo is wrong. 30 / 60 or 25 / 50 is standard and will improve image quality.
4. ISO: Try to work out what this is. Sony series start out around 100
5. Picture effect: Try to turn down the sharpness a little and re-introduce in post. This will give you a sharper image.

Lighting / cards.

What lights were you using? Cameras get better images if you light the scene.

Cards: If the card is too slow, it will result in a lower quality image.

Stabilisation: I turn the stabilisation off (I do not like it) and use a tripod which will produce better results.

Workflow: This is how you get the image from the camera through your post production process. There are ways to deal with Sony's ever-changing AVCHD codec which will optimise the image quality.

So there are about 10 things you can do to optimise image quality with your Sony that will improve picture quality. Even basics such as a white balancing will improve.

Added together, they will get the quality of images you want.

Last edited:
Back