Video quality problem (Sony NEX-VG900)

Hi ..

I have 2 cameras (sony nex vg900) with several lenses..

But i think this is not a normal quality for a 3000$ camcorder!

I tried many lenses, and many settings, but nothing changed!

Look at the buildings in the pictures!

image.jpg

123.jpg

what is the problem?

I have a Sony VG10 and spent years working out Sony foibles which most people on here will be blissfully oblivious to. I am a surgeon with this camera and so many elements around post (the AVCHD package causes a heap of issues).

4 questions:

1. What settings were you using for the shots? Please include words like 'autofocus,' 'sharpness,' and whether you were using one of Sony's stock profiles.
2. What hardware were you using? Lighting, cards, lenses etc...
3. What stabilisation?
4. What is your workflow?

This does look plenty horrendous for what you say is a $3000 camcorder. But camcorders, I've found, have always been lower quality than DSLRs or comparable cameras, likely in order to expand the record time so that it can practically record indefinitely: which is the main benefit of camcorders. DSLRs, on the other hand, will shut off or stop recording after a certain amount of time, or once your memory card runs out, and that's usually within an hour.

From what I can tell, this could be an issue with your lens since it's so muddy. But I almost feel like this should look way better than this no matter what lens you use.

Last edited:
I have a Sony VG10 and spent years working out Sony foibles which most people on here will be blissfully oblivious to. I am a surgeon with this camera and so many elements around post (the AVCHD package causes a heap of issues).

4 questions:

1. What settings were you using for the shots? Please include words like 'autofocus,' 'sharpness,' and whether you were using one of Sony's stock profiles.
3. What stabilisation?

Hi sir, thanks for sharing your experience :)
Actually .. I use this camera from two years. so i use it in many several (lenses, settings, lighting, etc..)
so i will answer to your questions based on the normal (usually) use of the camera, which is the footage in the picture is part of it!

Settings:
- Auto-focus
- F:7
- 200: Shutter Speed
- Zero: ISO
- Frame Rate: 50p (HD Quality)
- No Picture Effect

Lens: Sony 10-18mm F/4 OSS

what do you mean by (Lighting, cards)?

3. What stabilisation?
The Standard image stabilization in the camera SteadyShot settings
+ Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization in the lens

Filming, Ads, Events, Press :) !

I may not understand some of the questions, or answered it incorrectly! so please excuse me :D

Filming, Ads, Events, Press :) !

I may not understand some of the questions, or answered it incorrectly! so please excuse me :D

Work flow refers to what steps do you take to get it from the camera's memory card into your final product?

Do you import and export the files in any particular way? Do you convert them before editing them? What editing software do you use? And do you post the final footage online, or do you burn it to a physical medium?

This does look plenty horrendous for what you say is a $3000 camcorder. But camcorders, I've found, have always been lower quality than DSLRs or comparable cameras, likely in order to expand the record time so that it can practically record indefinitely: which is the main benefit of camcorders. DSLRs, on the other hand, will shut off or stop recording after a certain amount of time, or once your memory card runs out, and that's usually within an hour.

From what I can tell, this could be an issue with your lens since it's so muddy. But I almost feel like this should look way better than this no matter what lens you use.

Exactly, regardless of all what you said, this camera supposed to be in better quality than this!

Work flow refers to what steps do you take to get it from the camera's memory card into your final product?

Do you import and export the files in any particular way? Do you convert them before editing them? What editing software do you use? And do you post the final footage online, or do you burn it to a physical medium?
i tried 2 ways:
1. import the footage directly form the memory card (copy & paste)
2. import the footage using (PlayMemories) software

the first one give me a split clips ,the software imports the footage in 1 clip, but the quality is the same :)

I think it is a processing and a codec issue.
With the skyline I'm not even sure whether you focussed on something or not: the whole frame looks pretty soft.

The boys face can be blurry due to motion blur, but the rest looks soft as well.
(Although it is normal to use 1/100 when you shoot 50p in stead of 1/200.)
So it could be a focus problem as well.

I can't tell you whether it is normal: I'm not familiar with nex-cameras.
(In my experience/opinion most stills from compressed video don't look so great.)

That video certainly doesn't look Full Frame.What video format are you working with? AVI tend to give much more quality.A manual focus always give you better results and will look more professional.SO,next time,try that too.

I think it is a processing and a codec issue.
With the skyline I'm not even sure whether you focussed on something or not: the whole frame looks pretty soft.

The boys face can be blurry due to motion blur, but the rest looks soft as well.
(Although it is normal to use 1/100 when you shoot 50p in stead of 1/200.)
So it could be a focus problem as well.

I can't tell you whether it is normal: I'm not familiar with nex-cameras.
(In my experience/opinion most stills from compressed video don't look so great.)

I usually use the Auto-Focus mode, but wen i try to use the manual focus mode i don't notice any changes in the quality!

abut the boys face, actually in this scene there is definitely no motion

I have tried to change the settings too (like shutter speed) but no results!

It honestly looks like you shot video off of your phone, and not even one of the latest phones either.

The same buildings shot was taken by my iphone 5, believe me.. no way to compare!! :)

The scene may be too bright for the settings of your camera. Try shooting the same
scene with a heavy ND filter. That will bring down your exposure to an f11 or 5.6
You should see more detail.

I use this camera over a year ago and to this moment, i faced many bright situations, the quality is not good all the time!

actually i ordered ND filter from ebay and it will arrive soon, i will see if this problem solved, but to be honest, i am not optimistic :no:

That video certainly doesn't look Full Frame.What video format are you working with? AVI tend to give much more quality.A manual focus always give you better results and will look more professional.SO,next time,try that too.

The video format is mts (AVCHD), i think there is no options give me the ability to change the video format, about the focus like i was said when i use the manual focus mode i don't notice any changes in the quality!

I disagree: rewrapper data does not change the content. It onlychanges the container, which is sometimes needed to make the file readable for software. But, as far as I know, it doesn't add visual quality, because the sourcefile in the container is still te same.

So it can be a problem with the software that you are using to import the clips to the computer.
Try this software
http://freeware.satria.de/SmartFFmpeg/index.php?lang=EN

You may re-wrap the m2ts files to MOV container ( with .mov extension) files.There won't be any quality loss or extra time consuming here.

I am not sure which video editor you are using.I recommend using sony vegas 12.
or Davinci Resolve Free edition.
:no:

I disagree: rewrapper data does not change the content. It onlychanges the container, which is sometimes needed to make the file readable for software. But, as far as I know, it doesn't add visual quality, because the sourcefile in the container is still te same.
u r right, i am depressed :( i shouldn't buy this camera!

No. It won't change the actual data or quality. I assume the low quality footage is because of the avchd codec in his computer.Because Sony VG900 is said to give good performance than this. Utility like ClipWrap and SmartFFmpeg are used to re-wrap damaged AVCHD file structures into MOV files that can be imported into NLEs and edited easily.

And the re-wrapping is used to provide an editing friendly version of the footage which requires less struggles to edit with ,than the original.By rewrapping a mts file to mov, your file becomes much larger, remains very much lossless in quality and processes much more efficiently in your editing project.Thus you get a clear video output.

No. It won't change the actual data or quality. I assume the low quality footage is because of the avchd codec in his computer.Because Sony VG900 is said to give good performance than this. Utility like ClipWrap and SmartFFmpeg are used to re-wrap damaged AVCHD file structures into MOV files that can be imported into NLEs and edited easily.

And the re-wrapping is used to provide an editing friendly version of the footage which requires less struggles to edit with ,than the original.By rewrapping a mts file to mov, your file becomes much larger, remains very much lossless in quality and processes much more efficiently in your editing project.Thus you get a clear video output.

tried this again with SmartFFmpeg, nothing changed in the quality !

Back