• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

video playback a bit jumpy

wsup ppl, i just downloaded the trial version of adobe premiere elements 11. after i added my media(video) when i play it the video doesnt run smoothly but is very jumpy. Im not sure why its doing this. what am i doing wrong?

Well I know I'm on windows I'm not really sure how much RAM or hard drive or bit-rate of video. I think it might of said something about that on the adobe website but I just assumed my computer was compatible

I'd guess it's some h.264 codec on a cheap or older laptop with little or no real video card.

Is it also jumpy when you play the video in other software, like VLC? If so, your computer isn't really up to the task to do it in real time. Doesn't mean you cannot edit on it, just that you're in for a real slow ride if you choose not to upgrade.

click on start, right click on my computer select properties, it will tell you what version of windows you are running (important) 32bit or 64bit.

if you scroll down you should see how much ram you have, if your windows is 32bit then your limited to 3gb i believe of ram.

you really should get to grips with using a computer and understanding specs as that is an important part of filmmaking.

well im on a hp pavilion dv7 notebook PC running windows at 64bit and my RAM is 4.00. Im not sure if this means i need to get a better computer or will i have to just edit with the stuttering playback.

I just looked up the specs for that laptop, and from what I can tell it should be able to edit h.264 in Premiere CS5 or greater w/out being jumpy. The culprit here might actually be Elements. Rent Premiere CS6 from Adobe (cheap, you don't need to buy the whole thing outright) to see if it works better.

Elements is an extremely stripped-down program, so CS6 is FAR more suitable. (I use CS5.5 but will be upgrading in a month or so.) If Adobe is too expensive for you, you might want to give Sony Vegas a try as I know a lot of people around here swear by it, and it's much less expensive.

But you should definitely rent CS6 for a month to test it out. I'm guessing here, and it still might actually be a hardware capabilities issue.

Yea I downloaded cs6 and the playback was still stuttering. I started to render the video but had to leave for work. I'm hoping I won't have to buy any new hardware. Anybody else having this problem??

Hrm. Check to see if HP installed a bunch of crap you don't need (things that launch on startup). It might be other processes draining your system's resources. (I've cut HD video on an old G4 that was 10 years old -- your system's specs should be pretty sufficient.)

To carry on from Mile, is all your footage on the same harddrive as everything else? (It shouldn't be)

Also... are you editing the .mov files straight as are, straight off the memory card? Do you need to transcode to an intermediary? (ie: convert your footage into something easier for your computer to handle and edit)

Back