Video Mic for Tascam dr-100

Evening everyone,

Currently making short web films. Got myself a canon 550d and a tascam dr-100 attached to a Rode Video Mic Pro. I don't know a great deal about sound but im pretty sure the rode video mic is limiting the sound quality of the Tascam dr-100, have problems with low volume.

I have a boom pole and attach it all that way.

Was just wondering what a decent mic would go with the tascam dr-100.

Cheers

The portable hand recorders such as the Tascam 100 and the zooms are well known for getting a bit hissy at the higher gains needed for recording dialogue for film. This may be getting worse with your choice of microphone and how you have connected it, the Tascam is not really designed for that kind of mic. You will get better results by using a mic with balanced XLR connection. Unfortunately things aren't actually that simple as your batteries are not going to handle even a half day's shoot supplying phantom power to the mics so it is tempting to go for mics such as the Rode NTG-2 or Sennheiser ME66 which can supply their own power. Unfortunately these have lower outputs which means you are going to have to drive the recorder's gain and find yourself generating hiss from your preamps.
I used to use a Tascam with an ME66 (and still do for some stuff) and find that with a bit of care and getting the mic as close as possible the results are certainly passable, especially for web stuff.
Your other option is to step up to a Rode NTG-1 or 3 or a Sennheiser 416 or similar and buy a shedload of battery packs. Keep your ears on because I find the phantom power on my Tascam can induce a whistle when battery levels drop a bit so you can't even use the whole of the battery life. From what I hear that may vary from machine to machine.
You may also improve things somewhat in the short term by installing magic lantern and running the mic straight into the camera, at least the input on the 550 is well matched to the videomic

Back