• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch VFX Showreel

PaulWrightyThen

IOTM Winner
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share my VFX showreel. It's got stuff I've done for films, video games and hobby stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axAd7I0_xN4

Hope you like it. Feedback is always welcome here :)

Nice work. I've seen quite of few demo reels and I have a couple ideas for you to consider (of course, it's just my opinion):

- The reel is too long. I feel like I'm seeing 'all' your work, not just your best. Ditch all the filler shots (like the Kloodle, Arts Council, $500 jackpot). You could easily cut 20 seconds out, and your reel will look even better. It's hard to trim your own work, but do it. In fact, my own animation demo reel is still a minute longer than it 'should' be.

- 0:10 Car driving away: Your before/after demos are jarring because the plates are not the same size. Apply the same scale to both. Actually, a quick double-wipe in the middle to show comp/plate/comp would work better than these cuts.

Before/After Tip: Since some shots are so short, they are gone before the viewer knows they are looking at a before/after demo. One way to solve this is to let the final composite play, pause, play in REVERSE, and then play forward as just the plate. That reverse gag tells the audience that they are about to see the same thing again.

- 0:20 Green screen guys singing in the car. These are nice composites, but the cuts are jarring. Soft wipes across the before/after shots is a common way to get the idea across.

- 0:45 Car driving: Your before/after demos are jarring. A quick double-wipe, or dissolve, in the middle to show comp/plate/comp would work better.

- If you didn't create all the VFX in a shot (i.e. Ironman shots). It's important to disclaim this in your resume.

Cheers,
- Thomas

Nice work. I've seen quite of few demo reels and I have a couple ideas for you to consider (of course, it's just my opinion):

- The reel is too long. I feel like I'm seeing 'all' your work, not just your best. Ditch all the filler shots (like the Kloodle, Arts Council, $500 jackpot). You could easily cut 20 seconds out, and your reel will look even better. It's hard to trim your own work, but do it. In fact, my own animation demo reel is still a minute longer than it 'should' be.

- 0:10 Car driving away: Your before/after demos are jarring because the plates are not the same size. Apply the same scale to both. Actually, a quick double-wipe in the middle to show comp/plate/comp would work better than these cuts.

Before/After Tip: Since some shots are so short, they are gone before the viewer knows they are looking at a before/after demo. One way to solve this is to let the final composite play, pause, play in REVERSE, and then play forward as just the plate. That reverse gag tells the audience that they are about to see the same thing again.

- 0:20 Green screen guys singing in the car. These are nice composites, but the cuts are jarring. Soft wipes across the before/after shots is a common way to get the idea across.

- 0:45 Car driving: Your before/after demos are jarring. A quick double-wipe, or dissolve, in the middle to show comp/plate/comp would work better.

- If you didn't create all the VFX in a shot (i.e. Ironman shots). It's important to disclaim this in your resume.

Cheers,
- Thomas

Good tips.

The kloodle stuff and what have is in there for the motion graphics part. But I know what you mean about jarring cuts. Had to put this together in kind of a hurry.

Very good point about the crediting. I know this one so not sure why I didn't do that to be honest.

Top feedback :)

Back