• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

VFX a crowd...or just cheat it?

This pertaining to an under 200K feature in preliminary stage. There is a 5 page scene that takes place at a minor-league hockey game. Coverage is on-ice and in the stands.

Is it even worth looking into packing the stands with CGI "fans" at this budget level? The other option, of course, is to cheat it by shooting mostly close and augment with sound-design.

But, I must say that a CGI crowd like in Clint Eastwood's "Invictus" would be crazy fun. Is it insane to consider that at this budget level? If done by an indie VFX artist, what might it cost?

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

CG isn't needed. Just a small group of extras that will fill the BG for your tight shots, and can be tiled throughout the arena for the wide shots.

Wide Shots: Shoot a lock-off or a nodal pan/tilt for your hero plate, and composite multiple audience passes (of a group of extras) into the empty parts of the arena.

- Thomas

Last edited:
CG is probably the best option, and what Thomas said is really good. If your looking for a lot of it to get done through CGI, it shouldn't cost you too much unless your hiring a visual effects company.

I think CG is your best option, close up shots are fine, but in order to give the proper atmosphere of the game, you need some crowd shots at least.

I'd be happy to help with that, if you want to contact me here: rsteenoven.co.uk I'd quite happily discuss the rates etc I'd charge for such a job.

Cheers,

Richard
VFX Artist/Compositor

Or augment real people with "fake" people. Seen it done for a baseball film they are shooting in Chattanooga. Huge sections of the crowd are blowup doll fake people dressed in costume. Probably harder to sell in a smaller venue like hockey though.

It would take a lot of time, but you can use the same 20 or so extras, keep the camera locked down, and have them sit in all the different seats until you have the arena filled (when composited.)

There's a great example of 3 or 4 people recreating the opening from saving private ryan with this technique. I'll try and find it for you.

I'd get some guerrilla footage of the stadium during a real game when it was full, then cheat the actually scene with closeups and other thoughtful angles that don't show much the crowd. When properly cut together with sound design added it should turn out decently convincing.

Back