• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Using music in wedding videos?

I'm editing my first wedding video, I'm planning on editing a short 4 minute summary version that would also go on my website, so obviously I would 100% have to purchase the license for the song I use. That's fine.

However I'm also editing a feature length(probably 1 hour) version of their wedding to go onto a dvd/usb for them.

Is it worth me purchasing licenses for some of the songs I use when it's very very unlikely they will upload a 1 hour long video onto the internet? (I definitely won't upload it online)

There is also the issue that in quite a lot of IMPORTANT sections of the wedding they had music playing in the background e.g...their first dance and the entrance of the bridge, where they had a michael jackson song playing. Don't think I'd be able to get the rights for that song lol.

For the important sections I want to let the whole scene play out in full as I'm sure they'd like to be able to remember those moments forever. Obviously you will be able to hear the music in the background. Is this an issue? Anything I can do about it, if it is?

Obviously you will be able to hear the music in the background. Is this an issue? Anything I can do about it, if it is?

Technically it is an issue because it's against copyright law, irrespective of whether it's posted on the internet or whether money will be made from it. But, copyright law is civil law rather than a criminal law, which means the copyright holder has to instigate proceedings rather than the crown. Whether or not the copyright holder instigates proceedings will depend on a number of factors, the first of which of course is that they have to be aware that their copyright has been infringed and then it's a matter of whether they feel it's worth instigating legal proceedings. Unless the venue or bride/groom paid the PRS, they too are technically in breach of copyright law just for playing the recording/s at their wedding reception! Again though, how likely are the copyright holder/s to find out about this infringement and how likely are they to do something about it?

G

your going to be sued like hell, they will trash all your equipment, stamp on your head, kidnap your family, hold them ransom, until you pay the licence fees.

see how over the top my response was? thats exactly how over the top your question was.

its a personal video, I can guarantee for a fact that it wont make any film festivals, it wont be available for mass distribution, unless they are a celebrity ?

just do the music whatever, your thinking too far ahead, have you never done anything illegal and gotten away with it? (not promoting criminal/civil offences)

you should warn them ahead and tell them that the songs arent licensed so if they upload them upload theres a chance they could be removed, however with the countless number of youtube videos with people dancing to songs and they are certainly not licensed, i highly doubt you will run into issues.

I think I'll definitely purchase the license for the music I'd use for the shorter summary version of the video as that's definitely gonna go online and its just good professional practice anyway. Obviously for sections like the entrance of the bride there's nothing I can do about that but just have the music in the background.

Back