Using Military, legal?

Are there any legal issues or copyright issues when using military characters, uniforms, insignias, logos etc in your indie films?

If you use the Army Logo, or use actual military uniforms representing the US Army, you need permission from the Army PAO, now, if you use the same uniforms and equipment but depict a made up Army or faction, then you don't need permission. Also, if you do get permission, you might be surprised at what they restrict you to use. I'm in the Army and I can't produce my own videos for profit that represent the Army, so there are some stupilations with what can go on the uniforms, vehicles, etc. Now, I'm not in Public Affairs, so I'm no expert on everything they will allow you to use. Better to ask, I believe the main office for this type of stuff is in Los Angeles. I was trying to get VH-1 down here to document one of our Soldier's who is quickly rising in the Atlanta Hip Hop scene, VH-1 was fascinated with his story of being wounded in Iraq and coming home to heal through Rapping and all. Anyway, long story short, Big Army denied VH-1 access to the installation. VH-1 did their piece anyway- they just interviewed him off post. So, the Army has some wierd rules, and it all depends on who you talk to at the LA office. Good luck if it puts the Army in a bad perspective. Maybe someone in the Hollywood/LA area will have further insight on this Thread.

I was in the Air Force but never looked into this kind of thing, so basiclly I have to make up a mock uniform that looks similar? I mean how do you determine what is too far? Using actual rank insignia? As far as the clothes go I cant see how that can be conrtolled, name tags no big deal there, they would be in dress uniform so I cant see ribbons beinga factor and the rank is so small....

I've never researched this, but according to rumors I've heard about military films, anytime you have an authentic uniform on screen, it can not be completely accurate (ribbons in the wrong place, rank put on wrong, etc.). Real members of the mlitary can not wear their own uniforms on commercial productions, you can have a real member wear a false nametag, unit insignia, rank, etc though.

Last edited:
Back