• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

using different cameras

Well I came here to learn so I may as well dive in with a few questions and expose how completely green I am.

I am in the planning stages of a travel doco of sorts. I will be shooting some onboard footage from a motorcycle using a GoPro HD which can shoot at various frame rates.

The rest of the footage (such as drive by shots and scenery and interviews) will be shot on either a Sony PMW EX1 or Sony HVR Z7P which I will be hiring.

What do I need to consider to keep the look and feel of the finished product the same? Is that largely achieved in editing? For example how important is a consistent frame rate?

You (or an editor) will have to be a quite skilled with post production work (editing) to make it look consistent. Obviously, the more the different images have in common, (like frame rates) the easier the job!

Good luck.

While the GoPro HD is a great camera for what it is (we are currently using one for a racing documentary), attempting to match the image to other cameras will be difficult to impossible, unless you want your other cameras to be set to auto exposure and fixed focus. I'm not so sure it's necessary. It will immediately be evident the cuts between the on-bike camera so why fight it. Color grading will help somewhat, but I think even the white balance on the gopro is automatic and constantly adjusting to lighting conditions.

Well I came here to learn so I may as well dive in with a few questions and expose how completely green I am.

I am in the planning stages of a travel doco of sorts. I will be shooting some onboard footage from a motorcycle using a GoPro HD which can shoot at various frame rates.

The rest of the footage (such as drive by shots and scenery and interviews) will be shot on either a Sony PMW EX1 or Sony HVR Z7P which I will be hiring.

What do I need to consider to keep the look and feel of the finished product the same? Is that largely achieved in editing? For example how important is a consistent frame rate?

Back