using craiglist to gain experience?

I have been going around asking local film directors to sit in on their productions and gain some on set knowledge about filming but I also have interest in shooting a music video. I'm thinking about using craigslist to find some bands looking for a music video director but there aren't any posts about needing one. Should I make a post saying that I am interested in directing a music video on craigslist but offer my services free because I have limited equipment? If so, how? Like where should I post it?

I have been going around asking local film directors to sit in on their productions and gain some on set knowledge about filming but I also have interest in shooting a music video. I'm thinking about using craigslist to find some bands looking for a music video director but there aren't any posts about needing one. Should I make a post saying that I am interested in directing a music video on craigslist but offer my services free because I have limited equipment? If so, how? Like where should I post it?

In the world of craigslist, anything goes. Tell the truth, you're a newbie and want to hookup with a newbie band. List under gigs wanted.

However, I'd volunteer as a PA at local film productions to develop a rep for yourself and make connections that'll lead to gigs. Stay through the whole production for better or worse if you want to have a good rep in the community

There's nothing quite like learning how people do things wrong with other people's money to make yourself a better filmmaker.

Good luck.

Where in Pennsylvania are you? If you are close to the 'burgh, there are often calls for PA/extras at http://www.pghfilm.org/ Right now they're even looking for PAs for the new Batman! And, hey, TONS of musicians around here, most of whom would love a video, so it never hurts to ask around!

Where in Pennsylvania are you? If you are close to the 'burgh, there are often calls for PA/extras at http://www.pghfilm.org/ Right now they're even looking for PAs for the new Batman! And, hey, TONS of musicians around here, most of whom would love a video, so it never hurts to ask around!

lol I live in Harrisburg.. not Pittsburgh or Philly. If by the Burgh you meant Pittsburgh, then no I am in the other Burg, harrisburg... lol it's confusing sometimes. and I know they are looking for extra's for the batman movie because one of my coworkers at Sears is going to Heinz field to be in the scene where the batcopter comes onto the field to break up a fight. Lucky bastard

Last edited:
Craigslist is hit or miss. Learn to tell the difference between posts from amateurs who are going to totally waste your time, and dedicated students or semi-pros who will work efficiently and well. I've been on many sets as an actor where I knew more than the director; it's a drag watching people try to figure out what to do on your time.

Be choosy if you're going to work for free.

Back