Urban Films

I have a script for an urban film that I may want to shop. Are there certain companies that do more on that side than others? If so which ones?

ramirras said:
I have a script for an urban film that I may want to shop. Are there certain companies that do more on that side than others? If so which ones?

York Entertainment was doing a lot of urban horror films, so maybe you could try them.

Scott

RE: Urban films...

ramirras said:

Your best bet right now is to head over to Blockbuster and Hollywood Video and pick up a shopping basket. Then walk up and down the latest releases shelves and every time you find an urban film similar to yours, put it in your basket.

When you're all done, pull out your notebook and pen and copy down all the production companies that put these films out.

On top of that, get yourself a subscription to the Hollywood Creative Directory or buy a copy of the hard copy (be sure to purchase the LATEST printing).

Now look up the addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of all the prodcos that you have listed in your notebook. Start sending out queries. *NOTE: Your query has to be REALLY outstanding. In addition to sending queries out to the prodcos you found at the video stores, you can find additional prodcos in HCD to send even more queries to.

Find out (even if this requires a phone call) exactly who you need to query. Sometimes HCD will tell you but most of the time not.

After you query the prodcos, be ready to send your script out. I recommend sending it priority mail with delivery confirmation. *NOTE: Your query should mention that you are willing to sign a standard release form.

If, after six to eight weeks you don't hear anything from the prodcos you sent the script out to, you should call them up, talk to the receptionist and inquire about your script. If you still don't hear back from anyone, they aren't interested and are simply hoping you'll go away.

Interested producers will be calling you up (*NOTE: Make sure all your contact information is on the script!). Be ready to explain your story to them in 3 minutes or less without stumbling through it. I recommend practicing it over and over and even having it ready to go so you can reference it if you need to. Be prepared (if someone is interested) to answer questions like:

1) Are you willing to add a character that does so and so...
2) We like the script but it needs so and so... Can you add that?
3) Can you switch the sex of your main character?

--And on and on... They really don't care if this is your baby... They want to know if they can work with you. New writers that aren't willing to tweak as per a producer's request, are usually not called back. Being willing to tweak and change your own story is a very valuable trait to have in this business... It can get you a lot of work if your first script is good...

Good luck!

filmy

Back