Upgrading to an HD camera. Suggestions?

Hi everyone, I recently decided to sell my Sony VX2000 and upgrade to a full HD camera...

I would like suggestions on a good HD camera to go with. I want good quality image, as well as the media to be compatible with the Final Cut Pro editing software.

I guess my price range would be $1,000 - $4,500 (and if possible, I'd like to keep it around the lower side of that spectrum :P thanks!)

I would never recommend crowdfunding as a way of raising money to buy a camera. To my eyes that would constitute an abuse of the system, not legally obviously. People get cameras by saving up, getting a job or by collaborating with people who already have the gear. Why is it fair to ask other people to chip in to pay for you to get a camera? By all means send people you know notes saying that you're raising money for a camera, but I don't think you should go down the crowdfunding route at this point; that's simply not what it was designed for.

I would never recommend crowdfunding as a way of raising money to buy a camera. To my eyes that would constitute an abuse of the system, not legally obviously. People get cameras by saving up, getting a job or by collaborating with people who already have the gear. Why is it fair to ask other people to chip in to pay for you to get a camera? By all means send people you know notes saying that you're raising money for a camera, but I don't think you should go down the crowdfunding route at this point; that's simply not what it was designed for.

Agreed. I wouldn't even consider funding somebody to buy a camera, as I know full well you could rent a lot cheaper, therefore saving money, therefore meaning more money would be spent on the production. Sure, if you buy a camera, you'll be able to use it on numerous projects, saving you a fortune on renting, but I would gain nothing from buying you a camera. Crowdfunding (from what I can gather) should be used to raise money for a film, not for a production company.

Anything other than a DSLR is a waste of money. (Except RED I guess)

Not at all! It just so happens that for a huge number of projects on IndieTalk DSLRs are the best choice - lots of low-budget drama and music videos - but as much as I love shooting with them and how they've opened up filmmaking to loads more people, they're still very flawed in many respects and far from being the best choice for every project.

Back