computer-related upgrade gaming pc for video editing as well?

I have a couple of computers, MacBook Pro (2016), iMac 2019, and a gaming PC. I've used the macs for video editing (premiere pro), they're ok for light editing but seem to struggle with playback even reducing the quality, also a bit slow in other areas for my liking. So I'm wondering whether to use my gaming pc, I've seen various people mention gaming PC's are actually pretty good for editing, however, I made a more budget-conscious pc so I'm wondering if I should upgrade anything.. though computer hardware is where I lack knowledge so if anyone could help that would be great! (sensible upgrades, I don't want to spend too much). I film with Insta 360 One X and GoPro Hero 8 so i sometimes deal with 4k. this is the spec list:

G.SKILL Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
ASRock B450M/AC AM4 AMD Promontory B450 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz (3.9 GHz Max Boost)
AMD Radeon™ RX 5500 XT GPU
SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 500GB Solid State Drive
Rosewill FBM-X2 Micro ATX Mini Tower

Someone has mentioned to me in the past about upgrading the motherboard first so then I will have better upgrade options in the future, as I say I really don't know much about the hardware side of things, so much out there to choose from!

I have a couple of computers, MacBook Pro (2016), iMac 2019, and a gaming PC. I've used the macs for video editing (premiere pro), they're ok for light editing but seem to struggle with playback even reducing the quality, also a bit slow in other areas for my liking. So I'm wondering whether to use my gaming pc, I've seen various people mention gaming PC's are actually pretty good for editing, however, I made a more budget-conscious pc so I'm wondering if I should upgrade anything.. though computer hardware is where I lack knowledge so if anyone could help that would be great! (sensible upgrades, I don't want to spend too much). I film with Insta 360 One X and GoPro Hero 8 so i sometimes deal with 4k. this is the spec list:

G.SKILL Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
ASRock B450M/AC AM4 AMD Promontory B450 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz (3.9 GHz Max Boost)
AMD Radeon™ RX 5500 XT GPU
SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 500GB Solid State Drive
Rosewill FBM-X2 Micro ATX Mini Tower

Someone has mentioned to me in the past about upgrading the motherboard first so then I will have better upgrade options in the future, as I say I really don't know much about the hardware side of things, so much out there to choose from!

While this is respectable specs, I think you might be interested in moving from SSD to M2 as reading speed will be 10x faster. This will help in faster editing, etc. I looked at prices, and was surprised that prices are not that different.

Last edited:
yeah i did some further digging and its actually not a whole lot faster in real world usage (maybe the top end might be but thats silly money), not like the difference of hdd to ssd, interesting test on linus tech tips they have 3 different computers, sata ssd, gen3 and gen4 and nobody guessed correctly for which one was the fastest, i think most thought the sata ssd was fastest!

yeah i did some further digging and its actually not a whole lot faster in real world usage (maybe the top end might be but thats silly money), not like the difference of hdd to ssd, interesting test on linus tech tips they have 3 different computers, sata ssd, gen3 and gen4 and nobody guessed correctly for which one was the fastest, i think most thought the sata ssd was fastest!
OK if it true, I might be relieved :) just installed 1TB SSD and was thinking about m2..

Back